none
What is an intermediary in REST web services? Which type of security should be used in REST web service, intermediary and client? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is an intermediary in REST web services? Please provide code to create an intermediary.

Which type of security should be used in REST web service, intermediary and REST client.

Thanks in advance

• Moved by Asha99 Thursday, January 14, 2016 7:35 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hi SixtyNine,

I am not sure what is the intermediary in Rest Web Service as you said.

Is intermediary Router or Layered System?

If that is the intermediary router, as far as I know that the Routing Service does not

currently support routing of WCF REST services. If you want to route the  REST calls,

consider using System.Web.Routing or Application Request Routing.

If you want use the service as layered system, the client cannot ordinarily tell whether it is

connected directly to the end server, or to an intermediary along the way. Intermediary servers

may improve system scalability by enabling load balancing and by providing shared caches.

They may also enforce security policies.

You can consider using the Entity Framework to connect database with service.

About security you can consider using the certificate to encrypt the transport channel.

If I miss understand your question, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Wanjun Dong

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, January 15, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Hi SixtyNine,

Yes, you can use the Azure Service Bus as a intermediary between service and client.

For improving the performance, you can refer to the following articles:

1.Best Practices for performance improvements using Service Bus brokered messaging

2.Azure Service Bus Performance - Http Batch send

Best Regards,

Wanjun Dong

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi SixtyNine,

I am not sure what is the intermediary in Rest Web Service as you said.

Is intermediary Router or Layered System?

If that is the intermediary router, as far as I know that the Routing Service does not

currently support routing of WCF REST services. If you want to route the  REST calls,

consider using System.Web.Routing or Application Request Routing.

If you want use the service as layered system, the client cannot ordinarily tell whether it is

connected directly to the end server, or to an intermediary along the way. Intermediary servers

may improve system scalability by enabling load balancing and by providing shared caches.

They may also enforce security policies.

You can consider using the Entity Framework to connect database with service.

About security you can consider using the certificate to encrypt the transport channel.

If I miss understand your question, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Wanjun Dong

Friday, January 15, 2016 2:21 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I am referring to Intermediary router.

Does Azure Service Bus acts as a intermediary service which sits in between client and actual service?

Please tell me about roles performed by Service Bus.

Thanks in advance

Saturday, January 16, 2016 8:55 AM
  • Hi SixtyNine,

Yes, you can use the Azure Service Bus as a intermediary between service and client.

For improving the performance, you can refer to the following articles:

1.Best Practices for performance improvements using Service Bus brokered messaging

2.Azure Service Bus Performance - Http Batch send

Best Regards,

Wanjun Dong

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:02 AM