none
Weird text blurring issue in button (Windows Classic theme) RRS feed

• Question

• I run my Windows XP SP3 with the classic theme. I recently started my first WPF application. I have a couple of buttons in a ListBox, when I click the button the text on the button will be blurred for a short amount of time. Take a look at this screenshot:

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/5152/56713846jk0.png

It's very noticable and quite unacceptable really. The weird thing is that when I very briefly hold the mouse down, and then release it does not happen, so obviously it's a bug.

Please please please don't tell me this is by design...

Thanks

-m
    Monday, May 12, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• This isn't a bug. Blurry text happens everywhere in WPF. I even have blurry images in my XBAP app, they suggest to use vector images. I can't do this.

It seems that the WPF team or Microsoft doesn't care about this and don't want to fix it.
    This isn't acceptable, i am thinking to leave WPF and .NET, but is such a good thing, a very good designed API, but have a lot of unacceptable issues.

For example when you use BitmapEffects for a control and change the location for that control they recalculate the bitmap image again, and not just use the old bitmap and render the control. The bitmap should only be recalculated when you change the size of the control but not when you change the location.

Slow UI rendering. I am trying to create a GridView from a ListView but is to slow. Is not because of my data or because i have to many rows or columns. The same GridView in Windows Forms is very fast but in WPF is to slow.

And many others. I just didn't used WPF for a long time in order to discover the problems but they are. We need to know how things works inside WPF in order to make our WPF apps faster. Tricks and others.
    Monday, May 12, 2008 1:35 PM
  • Oh boy, not a bug? Did you see the screenshot? If you honestly think that text on a button should be blurry when the button is clicked, than you need to read up on usability and design.

Read my lips: IT'S UNACCEPTABLE. Look at the screenshot man!

-M

PS. I stopped all my WPF efforts yesterday. Sure, I'm just a lonely developer, but I don't think I'm the only one.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2008 7:29 PM
  • Microsoft think that if they keep telling us blurry text isn't a bug, and that it in fact looks better than old GDI text, that will make it true.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:22 PM
  •  Tim Dawson wrote:
    Microsoft think that if they keep telling us blurry text isn't a bug, and that it in fact looks better than old GDI text, that will make it true.

Well, it will make it so that WPF will never fully be accepted in Windows Forms land. I wonder if it's really necessary. Would OS X (which has resolution independant, anti aliased, animating UI) also blur text every time you click a button? I think not. So what part of Windows/ClearType/DirectX/.NET/WPF is not capable of handling this without blurring (since that is the only correct way of doing it)?
    Monday, May 19, 2008 9:25 PM