none
Error in Visual Studio 2017 Integration Services project: Unable to start debugging. The debugger is not properly installed.

Question

• I just installed Visual Studio 2017 preview and then ran the brand new SSDT installer.  I'm able to create an Integration Services Project, but when I click the Start button, I get the following error.  I've tried everything I can find to do about this error but nothing is working.  I do have Windows Communications Foundation (I think it is) installed.  I've registered the msdbg2.dll file.  I don't know what else to do.  No one has addressed this issue with an Integration Project.   Any suggestions? 

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to start project

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Unable to start debugging.
    The debugger is not properly installed.
    Run setup to install or repair the debugger. (Microsoft.DataTransformationServices.VsIntegration)

Unable to start program 'DTS'.

The debugger is not properly installed.  Cannot debug the requested type of code.  Run setup to install or repair the debugger. (Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger)
    Monday, December 11, 2017 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Karen,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Please try with following steps:

1. Navigate to path:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer

2. Run the vs_installer> Continue>More>Modify>Individual Components>Development activities

check and install: Windows Communication Foundation

3. Restart your VS, to build your project again.

If any problem persists, please feel free to contact us, we will continue to help you troubleshoot..

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:18 AM
  • It's already installed. At least, it shows up when I run the VS Installer for Individual Components. Karen
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:02 AM
  • I don't know what to say.  I've followed all the instructions I'm aware of.  I hope there's something more to try.

Karen

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:24 AM
  • Hi Karen,

Thank you for your update.

You could also check if the installer is updated to the latest version. currently it's 15.5.1

I suggest you re-download the newest installer from https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/ , run the latest installer to upgrade to repair/install the WCF again.

If the error persists after tryin above,  please use  http://aka.ms/vscollect to gather the installation logs. find vslogs.zip from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here. I will help you check the log and find the reason.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 5:31 AM
  • Thank you.  I'll do that in the morning.  I'm pretty sure I have the latest installer, but I'll check.

I don't think you can just 'repair' an individual component, but I can repair the installation of VS 2017 preview, hopefully with the new installer.  I've done that at least five times over the last several days, but a new installer may make a difference.  I don't think I should remove Windows Communications Foundation and then reinstall it.  I would be skeptical of doing that.

I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Karen

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hi Karen,

I'm still investigating this issue, please see a similar case:

The debugger is not properly installed. Cannot debug the requested type of code. Run Setup to install or repair the debugger.

You could refer to Peter's solution:

1. Clean folders: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\VS7Debug

2. Then recover Visual Studio

Or you could upload the log to us, I will check the log for detailed information.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:24 AM
  • I'm not sure what's meant by "cleaning" the folders mentioned.  I did actually try deleting everything that looked as though it could be deleted.  There were some files that didn't look as though they should be deleted.  If what I have to do is delete EVERYTHING in those folders before I download the new installer and do the repair, you'll have to let me know.  I can check those folders again, but now I'm uncertain about what to delete and what to leave.

And I don't know what's meant by "recovering" VS.  I know how to repair.  I hope that's what that means.

There are also comments about unchecking the "Enable Javascript debugging for ASP.NET" checkbox, but that doesn't relate to an Integration Services project.  I'm wondering if the brand new version of SSDT that I installed may have left something out or done something.  All I really know is that I can't debug a new Integration Services project.

Thank you again so much.

Karen

• Edited by Karen Grube Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi Karen,

Clean is deleting everything under this location.(You could back up them all before doing clean) .

Recovering is to repair the whole VS.

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 7:38 AM
  • I followed those instructions and no luck.  I still get the same error with the debugger.

And it looks as though my Visual Studio monthly subscription through Azure doesn't come with any technical support incidents and Microsoft think it's acceptable to try to charge me $500 to fix their installation issue!!!! I am furious!
    Friday, December 15, 2017 8:10 PM
  • I have exactly the same issue...
    Monday, February 05, 2018 8:34 PM