none
SQL Database Connection Administrator Server Role RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create an Administrator Login to my SQL Database using SQL Server Authentication to be used as the database administrator when Publishing my app.

When creating the Login in SQL Server Management Studio, what Server Roles are needed?

Options are:

bulkadmin check box

Members of the bulkadmin fixed server role can run the BULK INSERT statement.

dbcreator check box

Members of the dbcreator fixed server role can create, alter, drop, and restore any database.

diskadmin check box

Members of the diskadmin fixed server role can manage disk files.

processadmin check box

Members of the processadmin fixed server role can terminate processes running in an instance of the Database Engine.

public check box

All SQL Server users, groups, and roles belong to the public fixed server role by default.

securityadmin check box

Members of the securityadmin fixed server role manage logins and their properties. They can GRANT, DENY, and REVOKE server-level permissions. They can also GRANT, DENY, and REVOKE database-level permissions. Additionally, they can reset passwords for SQL Server logins.

serveradmin check box

Members of the serveradmin fixed server role can change server-wide configuration options and shut down the server.

setupadmin check box

Members of the setupadmin fixed server role can add and remove linked servers, and they can execute some system stored procedures.

sysadmin check box

Members of the sysadmin fixed server role can perform any activity in the Database Engine.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:59 PM

Answers

• It seems as though I don't need to assign a Server Role at all. Instead I need to Map the User to a specific database and then assign a Database Role of db_creator.

Down near the bottom of this article.

• Marked as answer by kyle ls Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:59 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:59 PM