Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created. Error: 0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure RRS feed

• Question

• I m using WCF using netmsmqbinding to send / receive messages.
    Till today, I was able to browse the service by going to IE but after joining all the parts and making everything work, I cant browse the service anymore. My messages are picked up by service and can send response back. I have my queue name also setup as my service name so that service also get wake up call from MSMQ Listener Adapter. Like I said everything is working fine BUT NOW I CANT BROWSE THE SERVICE ANYMORE !!!!!! I get "Server Unavailable message on the sccreen"

IS THIS EXPECTED BEHAVIOR?
    • Edited by Me.Saqib Friday, April 17, 2009 8:43 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 3:55 AM

Answers

• Answer:

I just uninstalled IIS7 and all other components. Reinstalled them and it worked fine.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Me.Saqib Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:40 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:40 PM

All replies

• Could you add some .aspx page and try to browse it? Also as posible "fix" try aspnet_regiis -i -enable

Regards
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:50 AM
  • One more thing - it's look like application pool which used for your service is stopped.

Regards
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Like I said, It was working fine for all the time but now I cant browse it. I recycled my App pool and it works for max 3 hits and then it goes down. The interesting point is that it is working fine internally i.e. picking up messages from queues
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:23 PM
  • Anything in event log? Also enable tracing for your service.
    Regards
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Event log has error registered regarding the webserver:

"Failed to execute request because the App-Domain could not be created. Error: 0x8000ffff Catastrophic failure."

Nothing in the trace except Handle Warning exception when IIS recycles the worker process that run the service after 20 mins of inactivity

Friday, April 17, 2009 2:38 PM
  • I also saw following error logged and VS debugger catches this:

"Faulting application w3wp.exe, version 7.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x47919413, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00000000, process id 0x%9, application start time 0x%10."

I think its related to worker process...

Friday, April 17, 2009 2:50 PM
  • exception code 0xc0000005 = Access is denied. Not sure if this could help but these folks have almost the same problem http://forums.asp.net/p/960370/1191099.aspx#1191099
    If it does not help - you need to debug service to see what cause these errors...

Regards
    Friday, April 17, 2009 2:52 PM
  • But I think this error is related to IIS worker process , not with the service.

regards

Friday, April 17, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Yes, but IIS will host your service. And errors in service could be fatal for app pool. Did you try to debug service?
    Regards
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:24 PM
  • before I hosted my service in IIS, I hosted it in console app to make sure everything runs fine without any warnings / errors and once i got confident, then i moved to IIS.

The interesting thing is that it comes online on its own and I can browse it but it goes offline ...VERY Strange!!!!!
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Just enable tracing and see where your service get offline and why. You could find instructions there: http://blogs.msdn.com/madhuponduru/archive/2006/05/18/601458.aspx

BTW, is this thread contains same question from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/6f3cd333-f3d0-4e4f-8c49-22c5f0958adc 
    ?

Regards
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:49 PM
  • That thread was a problem of queue being not activating the service after IIS recycle the process and i got the answer the queue name needs to be same as VDirectory + service name.

I also changed the header of this thread since its different error and cant browse my service.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:04 PM
  • I already have the tracing enabled and the only "WARNING" is generated when IIS recycles the w3wp process....

<E2ETraceEvent xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/E2ETraceEvent">
    <System xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/06/windows/eventlog/system">
    <EventID>131076</EventID>
    <Type>3</Type>
    <SubType Name="Warning">0</SubType>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-04-17T20:38:20.6136825Z" />
    <Source Name="System.ServiceModel" />
    <Correlation ActivityID="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" />
    <Execution ProcessName="w3wp" ProcessID="3856" ThreadID="5" />
    <Channel />
    <Computer>SCC</Computer>
    </System>
    <ApplicationData>
    <TraceData>
    <DataItem>
    <TraceRecord xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/2004/10/E2ETraceEvent/TraceRecord" Severity="Warning">
    <TraceIdentifier>http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.TraceHandledException.aspx</TraceIdentifier>
    <Description>Handling an exception.</Description>
    <AppDomain>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/myservice-1-128844740336819920</AppDomain>
    <Exception>
    <ExceptionType>System.Threading.ThreadAbortException, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089</ExceptionType>
    <Message>Thread was being aborted.</Message>
    <StackTrace>
    at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitMultiple(WaitHandle[] waitHandles, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext, Boolean WaitAll)
    at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny(WaitHandle[] waitHandles, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadTimer.TimerManager.OnWaitCallback(Object state)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke2()
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.OnSecurityContextCallback(Object o)
    at System.Security.SecurityContext.Run(SecurityContext securityContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke()
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ProcessCallbacks()
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.CompletionCallback(Object state)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ScheduledOverlapped.IOCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
    at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
    </StackTrace>
    <ExceptionString>System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
       at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitMultiple(WaitHandle[] waitHandles, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext, Boolean WaitAll)
       at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny(WaitHandle[] waitHandles, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadTimer.TimerManager.OnWaitCallback(Object state)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke2()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.OnSecurityContextCallback(Object o)
       at System.Security.SecurityContext.Run(SecurityContext securityContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.WorkItem.Invoke()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ProcessCallbacks()
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.CompletionCallback(Object state)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.IOThreadScheduler.CriticalHelper.ScheduledOverlapped.IOCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
       at System.ServiceModel.Diagnostics.Utility.IOCompletionThunk.UnhandledExceptionFrame(UInt32 error, UInt32 bytesRead, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)</ExceptionString>
    </Exception>
    </TraceRecord>
    </DataItem>
    </TraceData>
    </ApplicationData>
    </E2ETraceEvent>
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Answer:

I just uninstalled IIS7 and all other components. Reinstalled them and it worked fine.

Regards

• Marked as answer by Me.Saqib Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:40 PM
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:40 PM
  • We had a similar issue with WCF 3.5 Application hosted in IIS 7.5. Believe it or not, we could get it fixed by "Stopping" and then "Starting" the AppPool. For some crazy reason "Recycling" the app never worked.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:29 PM