none
Reporting Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.  I've done a tremendous amount of research on this, and finally felt that I had to ask on here.

I am essentially a hobby developer, so the expensive commercial products just aren't feasible.

I'm trying to add reporting functionality to my software and haven't been able to find anything that I've been able to use (Or in some cases couldn't understand).

I am looking for a reporting control that can do the following if anyone knows of a good one that they can point me towards, that would be very much appreciated.  I'm hoping for a free or open source solution, but would be amenable to something with a nominal fee if it met my needs.

- .NET control that I am able to integrate into my application

- I would like to design my report (Specifically the header and footer).

- Some fields I would like to set from strings, but the main table of the report I would like to set from a DataTable that I provide.

- It will need to support multi-page reports.

Has anyone had any experience with a control that accomplished this?  Something simple preferably without a ton of bells and whistles?

Thank you so much for your help.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hello everyone.  I've done a tremendous amount of research on this, and finally felt that I had to ask on here.

I am essentially a hobby developer, so the expensive commercial products just aren't feasible.

I'm trying to add reporting functionality to my software and haven't been able to find anything that I've been able to use (Or in some cases couldn't understand).

I am looking for a reporting control that can do the following if anyone knows of a good one that they can point me towards, that would be very much appreciated.  I'm hoping for a free or open source solution, but would be amenable to something with a nominal fee if it met my needs.

- .NET control that I am able to integrate into my application

I am not 100% sure so I ask:
    Is your application a .NET Application? Hosting a .NET control outside of a .NET application might be possible. But it is not adviseable.

The usual way to make a report is to create a .pdf file from the data. Maybe a .xml file containing just the structured data, wich will then be interpreted by a report display application.

Remember to mark helpfull answers as helpfull and close threads by marking answers.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:31 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  Yes, my application is a .NET application.

I presently have single page reporting working in my application by populating an html document with the data as needed, however this has obvious limitations.  It doesn't handle multi-page reports, nor does it really handle table data particularly well.

While I completely understand why reporting controls can be expensive, several hundered dollars is simply beyond what I would be able to afford and many of the features available in these controls would never be used by me either.

Thank you again for your help.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:52 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  Yes, my application is a .NET application.

I presently have single page reporting working in my application by populating an html document with the data as needed, however this has obvious limitations.  It doesn't handle multi-page reports, nor does it really handle table data particularly well.

While I completely understand why reporting controls can be expensive, several hundered dollars is simply beyond what I would be able to afford and many of the features available in these controls would never be used by me either.

Thank you again for your help.

The one was created a while ago but you may find it useful:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15168/A-New-NET-Reporting-Way

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 7:45 PM