none
Core 3.0 support RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working on a VS extension using VS 2019 and .Net Framework 4.7.2.

I would like to move over to core 3.0 preview5 since it now supports WPF but the current SDK on Nuget (16.0.200) does not support it.

When can I expect the SDK to support core 3.0?

Thanks,

Jim

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 3:02 AM

Answers

• Hi jbanie,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the misunderstanding.

The VS2019 SDK now only supports  .net framework but not .net core. I've checked official documents but it seems that the SDK product team haven't considered making the VS SDK support .net core.

Why do you need to the VS SDK into your .net core project? As you mentioned above, you're working on a VS extension, so your project should be a VSIX project. If you're in a VSIX project, there's no need to use WPF(.net core) project, instead you can create a custom Tool Window Item Template inVSIX project which has similar function like WPF.

And if you are coding in a WPF(.net core3.0) project, why you try to install the VS SDK. Always the assemblies in it is used to develop Project template, Item template, VSIX project but not WPF.

>>What i am looking for is a version of the Visual Studio 2019 SDK that is compatible with .Net Core 3.0

If you do need the version of VS SDK compatible with .net core 3.0, i suggest you can provide your suggestion by Help=>Send Feedback=>Provide a suggestion in VS IDE to share your user voice. After that, please be patient waiting for the response from the product team.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi jbanie,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

For .net core 3.0 preview5 support, you can download the corresponding .net core 3.0 SDK here. Choose the  X64 SDK  if your OS is 64-bit.

After we install the SDK successfully, we need to check the option: Use preview of .net Core SDK.

For VS2019 preview: Tools=>Options=>Project and Solutions=>.net core=>Use preview of the .net Core SDK.

For VS2019 Community, Professional,Enterprise: Tools=>Options=>Environment=>Preview features=>Use preview of the .net Core SDK.

Then restart VS to make the changes take effect, then you can use it in VS2019 development.

Hope it helps. Any feedback would be expected.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 4:45 AM
  • Hi Lance,

Thanks but I already have Core 3.0 SDK.

I am working on a Visual Studio Extension.

I tried installing the Microsoft.VisualStudio.SDK NuGet (Version 16.0.200) into the project but it does not install and i see several messages like this:

Package Microsoft.VisualStudio.CoreUtility 16.0.467 is not compatible with netcoreapp3.0 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v3.0). Package Microsoft.VisualStudio.CoreUtility 16.0.467 supports: net472 (.NETFramework,Version=v4.7.2) 

What i am looking for is a version of the Visual Studio 2019 SDK that is compatible with .Net Core 3.0

Thanks,

Jim

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 9:53 PM
  • Hi jbanie,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the misunderstanding.

The VS2019 SDK now only supports  .net framework but not .net core. I've checked official documents but it seems that the SDK product team haven't considered making the VS SDK support .net core.

Why do you need to the VS SDK into your .net core project? As you mentioned above, you're working on a VS extension, so your project should be a VSIX project. If you're in a VSIX project, there's no need to use WPF(.net core) project, instead you can create a custom Tool Window Item Template inVSIX project which has similar function like WPF.

And if you are coding in a WPF(.net core3.0) project, why you try to install the VS SDK. Always the assemblies in it is used to develop Project template, Item template, VSIX project but not WPF.

>>What i am looking for is a version of the Visual Studio 2019 SDK that is compatible with .Net Core 3.0

If you do need the version of VS SDK compatible with .net core 3.0, i suggest you can provide your suggestion by Help=>Send Feedback=>Provide a suggestion in VS IDE to share your user voice. After that, please be patient waiting for the response from the product team.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 8:50 AM
  • Hi Lance,

No Problem. I was thinking I could convert all my code to core 3.0.

I will keep my VSIX project at 4.7.2 and i will multi-target all of my class libraries to both core 3.0 and 4.7.2.

When VS 2021 comes around we should all be on .Net 5.0 by then and wont have these kinds of issues anymore :-)

Thanks for all your help!

Jim

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:34 PM