none
error MSB3323: Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the certificate store.

Question

• Problems began when I received the MSDN Final VS 2005 v8.0.50727.42 and uninstalled the RC build which I had worked with without issue and replaced it with the previously mentioned.

After four or so installs/uninstalls I got past the Invalid license data. Reinstall is required. http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=162712&SiteID=1

I have tested C++ project builds for managed and unmanaged code and both work without a problem. My C# projects however fail to build, the error I get is:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: D And P, Configuration: Release Any CPU ------
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Microsoft.Common.targets(1718,7): error MSB3323: Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the certificate store.
    Done building project "D And P.csproj" -- FAILED.
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

If anyone has any idea of what a next step is please let me know.

Friday, December 09, 2005 6:09 AM

Answers

• I got this when I renamed my C# project then tried to publish it. To solve, I went to the "Signing" tab of the project properties and unchecked "Sign the ClickOnce manifests". Good luck!
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:36 AM
  • So i've read this thread a lot of times, but i've got the same problem like you had. If I unchecked the all the checkboxes from signin. .. I was allowed just to compile the program not to publish it.

Now I've found somenthing,that solved my problem,and I think yours aswell.Go to Project -> project Proprietes -> Signin

and then go to Create Test Certificate,and just give a simple password.And then enjoy publish it Stick out tongue

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:15 PM
  • There are a lot of replies here.   My solution was similiar, but I'll state it here in case it will help anyone else.

The "project" I inherited was targetting a CE Device.   Although I unchecked / checked / created / removed / unchecked the "Sign the Assembly" box under the "signing" tab in the project properties.   That did not resolve it.

Under the "Devices" tab in project properties, another box was checked --
    In the "Authenticode Signing" section, the "Sign the Project Output with this Certificate" box was checked, but no ceritifacte was listed.

After unchecking that box, I was able to build the project.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:21 PM
  • I had the same problem by using ClickOnce, but after I deleted all the compiled dll's in the bin and debug folders, it's working. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:10 PM

All replies

• I got this when I renamed my C# project then tried to publish it. To solve, I went to the "Signing" tab of the project properties and unchecked "Sign the ClickOnce manifests". Good luck!
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 10:36 AM
  •  Mr. Bungle wrote:
    I got this when I renamed my C# project then tried to publish it. To solve, I went to the "Signing" tab of the project properties and unchecked "Sign the ClickOnce manifests". Good luck!

I had the same problem, and the same solution worked for me ;-) thx

• Proposed as answer by chandumatta Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:06 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:23 PM
  • I was just trying to compile (not publish) and got this error. This suggestion worked for me too, but I also tried choosing a different certificate from the cert store (if you have one) and that worked as well.
    Thursday, January 26, 2006 6:31 PM
  • I got the same problem but I was tring to strong name my application.  I was able to solve the problem by opening the XXX.csproj file in a text editor (notepad.exe) and remove the following tags from the XML.

<ManifestCertificateThumbprint>...</ManifestCertificateThumbprint>
    <ManifestKeyFile>...</ManifestKeyFile>
    <GenerateManifests>...</GenerateManifests>
    <SignManifests>...</SignManifests>

It seem that someone (another member of my team) was playing with the OneClick stuff, but didn't check in the strong name key files he used.  But did check in the project file.

Then when I created the new strong name key file and signed the EXE, something was out-of-sync with the above tags in the probject file and the new key file.

Removing these tags may be a bad thing (someone from MS will need to comment) but it worked for me.

• Proposed as answer by Daniel A from G Monday, September 28, 2009 12:22 PM
    Wednesday, March 01, 2006 6:54 PM
  • I use strong keys for strong naming, and I use ClickOnce.

I got this error when I moved my project to another computer...

I tried unchecking the "Sign ClickOnce Manifests", but did not work.

I had to give a new "Valid" certificate first, and then uncheck the box...

It seems to me that when you uncheck that box, the project file is not updated accordingly... The certificate definition is still in there, and the build complains about it .

Any comments? Are my manifests really not being signed when I decide to NOT TO sign them anymore??

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:02 AM
  • Thanks.    Saved me time and energy!
    Friday, March 24, 2006 2:25 AM
  •  durayakar wrote:

I had to give a new "Valid" certificate first, and then uncheck the box...

How do I give it a a new valid certificate? I moved my project to a new PC too.

Thanks,
    Brian

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:46 PM
  • The information was VERY helpful.  Thank you!!
    Wednesday, July 12, 2006 7:17 PM
  • wonderful: 1 first tip helps ;-) merci beacoup!
    Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:50 PM
  • In the project properties tab, there is a "Signing" section... select a valid key there, or create a new one...

Hope it helps

Duray AKAR

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:12 PM
  • "... select a valid key there, or create a new one..."

wich key, I don't see any, pls be more specific, you helped me a lot so far!

Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:07 PM
  • The post was usefull . i got the error when i moved the files from adminstrator documents to my documents.
    Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:36 AM
  • Helped me too very useful.

Thks

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 8:34 AM
  • Ok, I had a "good luck" and was able to solve the problem with the specified error message

Thanks for the help there, Mr. Bungle.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 4:11 PM
  • thank you
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:36 AM
  • I am not able to i check ClickOnce manifests and do not see a place to generate a new key to allow me to uncheck it. Everything on the page is disabled except
    Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:49 PM
  • Good work... Saved lot of time... Thx a lot....
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:05 AM
  • thanks ..was real helpful.. Smile
    Friday, July 06, 2007 9:17 PM
  • Seems this same issue has appeared in Visual Studio 2008 beta 2 as well...the same fix works - untick the ClickOnce box and the project will build.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:15 AM
  • Thank you so much.  I was beating my brains out, trying different unsuccessful ways to get around obscure but fatal error.

Why does Visual Studio Express C# make this so hard for the beginner? F1 gets you absolutely no help with that error message.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 7:42 PM
  • After I Sign the manifest and then uncheck the "Sign" option, when I am publishing my app, I have an alert "The application is signed with a different key than the existing application on the server. Do you want to overwrite it?"

If I overwrite my application in the server, it means I must reinstall my app in the workstations? there are hundreds of these.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 5:43 PM
  • I had the same problem by using ClickOnce, but after I deleted all the compiled dll's in the bin and debug folders, it's working. Hope this helps.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:10 PM
  • Very tks, simple and help me a lot...

Lucio F.

Brazil-MG

Thursday, October 25, 2007 11:18 AM
  • This fix worked for me when moving my project to a new PC.  Thanks!

Sunday, October 28, 2007 3:54 AM
  •  

Hi,

Try this option.

Go to properties and toggle the Enable ClickOnce Security Settings, this will create a app.maifest file .

Hope this helps !!

-- Sameera

Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:10 AM
  • worked treat thx
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:21 AM
  • Very helpful.  I moved a project from Vista to XP and had the problem.  Removing the check did the trick.  Thanks much.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:11 AM
  • Hi i got this error when i moved my project files from one directory to another, after retreiving the last version from source control.

I tried your solution and worked perfectly.

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Gabriel

Friday, April 11, 2008 1:02 AM
  • the signing tab was the ticket - stupid defaults - thanks

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Worked for me - thanks..

Friday, April 25, 2008 1:21 PM
  • Unable to find manifest signing certificate in the certificate store ..
    Monday, April 28, 2008 8:20 PM
  •  

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have tried all the options above, but it's not resolved my problem.

Finally, I have search for "pfx" file in csproj file and removed it manually. I have reloaded the project and it's compiled successfully.

Thanks,

Subba Rao.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 8:10 AM
  • So i've read this thread a lot of times, but i've got the same problem like you had. If I unchecked the all the checkboxes from signin. .. I was allowed just to compile the program not to publish it.

Now I've found somenthing,that solved my problem,and I think yours aswell.Go to Project -> project Proprietes -> Signin

and then go to Create Test Certificate,and just give a simple password.And then enjoy publish it Stick out tongue

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Mr. Bungle said:

I got this when I renamed my C# project then tried to publish it. To solve, I went to the "Signing" tab of the project properties and unchecked "Sign the ClickOnce manifests". Good luck!

I have the same problem and the proposed solution worked for me.

Thanks
    Siva
    Tuesday, June 03, 2008 6:11 AM
  • Thank for tip. it works.
    simple
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 8:29 AM
  •  it was Quick Solution, useful.
    For the one who can not publish the application: right click to project, select properties
    click Select from Store and select Certificate, if you dont have one, Create another and assign the key
    it should work,
    Thursday, October 09, 2008 3:47 PM
  • copjbp said:

Mr. Bungle wrote:

I had the same problem, and the same solution worked for me ;-) thx

Thanks,  worked perfect
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 1:54 PM
  • Thanks for your tip!

I had the problem that I unchecked the "ClickOnce manifests" and, when each time I tried to publish, it checked itself again and throw an error.

I deleted the four lines you recommended in the .vbproj and now it's working.

Manuel Daponte
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:09 PM
  • plz Check this out:

http://ira.me.uk/2009/02/04/unable-to-find-manifest-signing-certificate-in-the-certificate-store/

My nephew says: "Mathematics and Politics are a part of life."
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:26 PM
  • Out of the 10,000 responses to this problem on the web, this is the one that worked for me.  Removing these from the project file did the trick. Thanks!!
    Wednesday, January 06, 2010 8:15 PM
  • I got the same problem but I was tring to strong name my application.  I was able to solve the problem by opening the XXX.csproj file in a text editor (notepad.exe) and remove the following tags from the XML.

Thanks!!!
    I can compile my project again!! *thumbsup*
    Friday, January 22, 2010 6:05 AM
  • I got this when i was made any changes in my C# .NET code. I solve this error 2 way: 1) I went to the "Signing" tab of the project properties and unchecked "Sign the Click Once manifests".But this is not useful for publishing a project. for this folow second way.

2) In your project goto project Proprietes in it  "Signin" and then go to Create Test Certificate,and give a password.And then you may publish it

"enjoy it".
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:54 AM
  • Thanks Mr. Bungle . It works.,thanks a lot.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 12:38 PM
  • There are a lot of replies here.   My solution was similiar, but I'll state it here in case it will help anyone else.

The "project" I inherited was targetting a CE Device.   Although I unchecked / checked / created / removed / unchecked the "Sign the Assembly" box under the "signing" tab in the project properties.   That did not resolve it.

Under the "Devices" tab in project properties, another box was checked --
    In the "Authenticode Signing" section, the "Sign the Project Output with this Certificate" box was checked, but no ceritifacte was listed.

After unchecking that box, I was able to build the project.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Thank you this helped me.
    Monday, April 19, 2010 9:11 PM
  • This solution worked for me, thankyou
    Friday, April 23, 2010 3:26 PM
    Thank you so much, it helped me for sure. Message is gone.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Thanks

This worked for me :)

Monday, August 09, 2010 8:14 AM
  • Things are somewhat trickier with a library project (DLL). First you need to (temporarily) switch the project output type from Class Library to Windows Application. Then you do the nice trick with the creation of a test certificate. Compile. Uncheck signing of the ClickOnce manifests. Change back the output type to Class Library. Check the signing of the assembly. Now you have the compiler running smoothly.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:10 PM
  • TY, the unchecked helped!
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 2:25 PM
  • Lexnn thnx!

Monday, January 10, 2011 10:31 AM
  • Lexnn thnx!

very helpful..thank you..
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:34 AM
  • thankx wazaa  ! it worked !!  & thnkx  BXS for the thread !!!
    Friday, June 17, 2011 8:21 AM

worked for me!!!

Software Engineer, Vagsons Technologies Pvt.Ltd.m Mangalore-2
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:44 AM
  • You are Genius ! 2 thumbs 4 u
    Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:47 AM
  • Thanks a lot Sandy. It worked for me.

Debasis Chakraborty

Friday, June 15, 2012 8:28 AM
  • This was the right solution for me! Thank you wazza1231!

• Edited by Aclys Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Creating a 'Test Certificate' worked for me.
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 7:53 AM
  • Thanks Mr. Bungle

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 6:39 AM
  • Thank you ..!
    This was my solution, accidentally wanted to license a c# console application and apparently the settings you mention in my xxx.csproj file remained there until checkin give my TFS server where the compilation was erroneous
    Wednesday, January 08, 2014 11:29 AM
  • Great!  thanks, I uncheck the "Sign the ClickOnce Manifests" and the problem was solved!
    Monday, February 16, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Thank you very much. I got this error when I install new Visual Studio and open project from drive D

It's work 100%

Go to Project (Menu) then project name property

Signing and uncheck: Sign the ClickOnce manifests.

• Edited by Tonn Saroth Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, March 03, 2015 6:36 AM