none
DebugCRT for Release version? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Studio Express C++ 2008. When compiling my project for Release, the resulting executable still requires the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT (which I determined with the dependency walker and SXS.exe). This throws a SXS error since the debugCrt is not part of the redistibutable when running on a PC that hasn't Visual Studio installed. 

I did check the project settings  but can't find the cause for this. Am I assuming wrongly that the Release version should not require the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT?

• Edited by Dirk1956 Monday, October 31, 2011 4:35 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 4:29 AM

Answers

• I am using Visual Studio Express C++ 2008. When compiling my project for Release, the resulting executable still requires the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT

Presumably it also requires the release version?

Am I assuming wrongly that the Release version should not require the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT?

No, your assumption is correct, you should not need it.

Besides your main EXE project, are you using any libraries that may
    have been built to require the debug run-time?

Dave

• Marked as answer by Helen Zhao Tuesday, November 8, 2011 5:05 AM
    Monday, October 31, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

You received the error perhaps because you have some third party libraries that use debug run-time.

To determine which part of the code requires the debug run time, I suggest Dependency Walker.

Best regards,

Helen Zhao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 4, 2011 3:58 AM

All replies

• I am using Visual Studio Express C++ 2008. When compiling my project for Release, the resulting executable still requires the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT

Presumably it also requires the release version?

Am I assuming wrongly that the Release version should not require the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT?

No, your assumption is correct, you should not need it.

Besides your main EXE project, are you using any libraries that may
    have been built to require the debug run-time?

Dave

Monday, October 31, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Thanks for replying Dave,

Yes the release project also requires the Microsoft.VC90.CRT (release version).

I'm just using one external library library, Ionic.zip for creating zip files. This library is directly referenced in the project's property pages. I did exclude it from the project but the problem remains.

Is there an easy way to determine which part of the code requires the debug run time (if any)?

Are there any project or file properties I may have set wrongly?

Dirk

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 3:19 AM
  • I'm just using one external library library, Ionic.zip for creating zip files. This library is directly referenced in the project's property pages. I did exclude it from the project but the problem remains.

Is there an easy way to determine which part of the code requires the debug run time (if any)?

Dirk,

Try setting the verbose option on the linker and see if you can
    ascertain what's pulling in the debug run-time.

Dave

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

You received the error perhaps because you have some third party libraries that use debug run-time.

To determine which part of the code requires the debug run time, I suggest Dependency Walker.

Best regards,

Helen Zhao[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 4, 2011 3:58 AM