none
A Visual Studio testing sku must be installed to use this command: Failing to Run Tests part of Release Management via TcmExec.ps1 and tcm.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have the following environment:

- Machine1: TFS + Release Management server and client.
    - Machine2: Deployer Agent + Visual Studio Test (with valid license key) + MTM
    - Machine3: Test Agent (this machine is marked "ready" in Lab Management)

I have setup my release management workflow to use, in a given workflow step, the "MTM Automated Tests Manager" tool (TcmExec.ps1) via a component. This step is supposed to run all test cases for a given test suite id, configid, tfscollection, tfsprojet...etc...

Unfortunately, when I run a build and release, my release management workflow reaches this step and fails (rejected) with the following error: "A Visual Studio testing sku must be installed to use this command."

I tried debugging the issue and I found that the line failing with this error was the line (in TcmExec.ps1) that invoked TCM.exe, as such:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\TCM.exe run /export /id:23 /collection:xxxxxxx /teamproject:yyyyy

The weird thing is that when I run other options of TCM.exe (such as tcm.exe configs /list / or tcm.exe plans /list),  I get a fine output, but with the tcm.exe run option, it fails miserably.

Anyone has encountered something similar?

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:10 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your reply Vicky,

What solved my problem was the installation of VS Ultimate in the machine where the deployment agent is. (The machine where the tests agent is installed already contains VS ultimate trial version.)

Yes, does not make any sense...I agree..but for the tcm.exe run /export to work (triggered by the release management workflow), I had to install VS ultimate on the machine where the deployer agent is.

I was really under the impression that VS Test Pro was enough to run these tests...And apparently not....

Any insights ?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Hi Elextra,

For test case management, you need to install VS Ultimate, Premium or Test Professional on the Deployment Agent machime. So you install VS Professional doesn't work.

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Elextra,

According to your description, I would like to know the details below:

1. Where is the value of id come from?
    2. Does it work fine with this command below:
    tcm run /?

Thanks

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:30 AM
  • Hi Starain, 

Answers to your questions:

1- The id comes from the previous command in the TcmExec.ps1 script (if you want to give me an email address, I can send you the tcmExec.ps1 script...which is not my script obviously, it comes with MTM I believe), which is the command that creates the test run from the testsuite id, test planid and config id. 

Here is that command

"$tcmExe" run /create /title:"$Title" /planid:$PlanId /suiteid:$SuiteId /configid:$ConfigId /collection:"$Collection" /teamproject:"$TeamProject" $testEnvironmentParameter $buildDirectoryParameter $buildDefinitionParameter $buildNumberParameter $settingsNameParameter $includeParameter

The output of this command is: Run created with ID:23.

After this, you can execute the run with the command I posted yeseterday (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\TCM.exe run /export /id:23 /collection:xxxxxxx /teamproject:yyyyy) and which creates the error I described before.

2- Tcm run /? outputs fine. (all the options for running tcm run).

As I said in my previous posting, running tcm.exe configs /list / or tcm.exe plans /list for instance works fine...I get to see all my configs, my test plans ....(corresponding to what's in MTM).

Thanks,

Regards

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

If you run the TCM.exe run commad directly on the server machine you specified in the ReleaseManagement, will you get the same error? And do you install VS Ultimate or VS Test Professional on that server machine?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:42 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

I can run all options except the run option. In other words:

tcm.exe configs /list  works fine...and gives out the right output from tfs

tcm.exe plans/list works fine....and gives out the right output from tfs

but,

tcm.exe run ..... --> I get: "A Visual Studio testing sku must be installed to use this command."

I have installed VS Test Professional and I have launch it and entered a license key. Do I need ultimate for that?

We are really stuck for the time being unable to execute tests part of the release management....Anything helps, 

Thank you,

• Edited by Elextra Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:03 AM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:02 AM
  • Hi Elextra,

So do you mean you can't run tcm.exe /run command successfully just in the command prompt? How about you download and install VS2013 Ultimate then try again?

Thanks.

Friday, April 11, 2014 2:08 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

As I mentioned beforefrom the command line:

WORKS and gives the right output:

- tcm.exe configs /list .....

- tcm.exe plans/list....

- tcmExe run /create /title:"$Title" /planid:$PlanId /suiteid:$SuiteId /configid:$ConfigId.....

FAILS with the error: "A Visual Studio testing sku must be installed to use this command.":

- tcm.exe run /export /id:.....

The Visual Studio Test Pro I installed has a valid license. I really don't understand.

I can try installing Ultimate ( I will do the test and let you know), but I can't afford installing ultimate for every single deployment/test machine....

Anyone please ?!

• Edited by Elextra Friday, April 11, 2014 1:46 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 8:21 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

Just to let you know that when opening the 'about help' section in the Visual studio test Pro, I installed, it says Visual Studio Shell (integrated) and not Visual studio test pro as I would have expected.

I re-installed it a second time, same thing. See attached. could this be the problem?!

Incidentally, I am confused about something. Why does Visual Studio test has to be installed in the build machine (where the release management server is installed along with TFS in my case) as opposed to in the deployment machine  (where the deployer agent is) . I thought that the tests run and were executed in the deployment machine.  Could you please clarify this for me. I should probably post a different message about this...I realize...but I am afraid it might have something to do with my current problem.

• Edited by Elextra Friday, April 11, 2014 1:49 PM
    Friday, April 11, 2014 11:22 AM
  • Hi Elextra,

Actually tests are run on the test agent machine. See the picture below from this blog for a clear and overall information. So you need to install Visual Studio Ultimate, Premium, or Test Professional on the test agent machine.

Also take a look at this blog which is helpful for you to correctly run automated Tests as part of a Release: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dsts/archive/2014/03/17/release-management-how-to-run-automated-tests-as-part-of-a-release-walkthrough.aspx

Thanks.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:29 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Vicky,

What solved my problem was the installation of VS Ultimate in the machine where the deployment agent is. (The machine where the tests agent is installed already contains VS ultimate trial version.)

Yes, does not make any sense...I agree..but for the tcm.exe run /export to work (triggered by the release management workflow), I had to install VS ultimate on the machine where the deployer agent is.

I was really under the impression that VS Test Pro was enough to run these tests...And apparently not....

Any insights ?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Hi,

As the picture I shown above, test run (tcm run /create) is created on the Deployment agent machine; and automated tests which in that test run are executed on the test agent machine.

So you need to have VS installed on both deployment agent and test agent machines.

Thanks.

Friday, April 18, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi Vicky,

That's understood. But what flavor of Visual Studio should be run in the deployment agent machine and in the test agent machine?

Today in my configuration, I have:

"Deployment agent" machine: Visual Studio Ultimate

"Test agent" machine: Visual Studio Ultimate

Shouldn't Test Pro be enough at least in the Test Agent machine ?

Thanks

Monday, April 21, 2014 2:27 PM
  • Hi Elextra,

As you understood, all tests are run on the test agent machine. So which version of Visual Studio need to be installed on the test agent machine depends on what kind of tests you want to run.

Ultimate

Premium

Test Pro

Web Load & Performance Testing

YES

Microsoft Fakes (Unit Test Isolation)

YES

YES

Code Coverage               

YES

YES

Coded UI Testing            

YES

YES

Manual Testing

YES

YES

YES

Exploratory Testing

YES

YES

YES

Test Case Management

YES

YES

YES

Fast-forward for Manual Testing               

YES

YES

YES

Lab Management

YES

YES

YES

Extensible Testing Framework

YES

YES

Unit Testing

YES

YES

Please take a look at Testing Tools in the VS editions comparison here for further information: http://www.visualstudio.com/products/compare-visual-studio-products-vs

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Perfect Vicky, thank you for your summary table. That clarifies what needs to go into the Test Agent machine. In my case, since it's coded UIs that I am running, I will need Visual Studio Ultimate or Premium.

Now, regarding the Deployer Agent machine, since we've established that the test run (tcm run /create) is created on the Deployment agent machine (See our comments above in the thread), this machine also needs a Visual Studio installed. But what version ?

In my case, I had to install Visual Studio Ultimate in my deployment agent machine just for the tcm run /create (a Pro wasn't enough). Failing to do so, you get the 'sku error message' that started this post.

Why would I need Visual Studio Ultimate (in the Deployer agent machine) just to create the Coded UIs for them to run later in the test agent machine ?

Thanks again Vicky for your support,

• Edited by Elextra Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:37 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:27 AM
  • Hi Elextra,

For test case management, you need to install VS Ultimate, Premium or Test Professional on the Deployment Agent machime. So you install VS Professional doesn't work.

Thanks.

Friday, April 25, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Hi Vicky, I think there was a misunderstanding on what was deployed in my deployment agent machine. I had visual studio test professional...and that was not enough. I had that sku error. I know with ultimate, it works fine. I will try installing premium and hope it will work ... I will let you know. Thanks
    Friday, April 25, 2014 6:24 AM