none
Unremovable, dysfunctional, VS 2012 install: any point in upgrading to Windows 8 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7 64 Pro SP 1, purchased in the US, all Windows Updates regularly installed: none failed.

First post on the start of all my hassles with Visual Studio Pro on this forum

Second post on this forum outlining even more struggles to get a working Visual Studio Pro 

Sorry to say, in spite of all the patient responses, and advice, from Aaron Stebner, and Barry Wang, here ... I'm still in "limbo," where I am unable to get a working install of any version of Visual Studio, including the VS 2010 Pro I purchased in the U.S. It's been at least a month, I think, with no usable Visual Studio.

I have used msiinv.exe, and removed stuff, I have used collect.exe. I have tried booting off my original Win 7 64 pro disk, and selecting the option to repair an existing installation of Win 7, with no change in being able to use Visual Studio, etc. I have also used the FixIt.exe utility provided by Microsoft to try and un-install all the VS related entities.

Because I am busy using this computer for many purposes, and have many programs and utilities installed (many of them, even the freeware utilities I have installed, requiring registration, serial numbers, etc.): I am, of course, trying, at all costs, to avoid doing a complete re-install of Win 7 Pro 64: it would take several days to re-install all my software, and I want to move on to Windows 8, anyway.

Since the only application not working on this computer is Visual Studio, and I totally depend on Visual Studio for programming, I see no harm in asking a question that is probably pretty weird:

If I do the on-line upgrade from Win 7 64 Pro to Win 8 Pro, could there be any chance that would in essence "refresh" my system level files that may, possibly, be related to my inability to use Visual Studio ?

I do want to take advantage of the on-line installer for Windows 8 64 Pro, if possible, and my hardware is compatible. I also have the intent to buy (or upgrade if possible, from VS 2010 Pro) Visual Studio 2012 Pro, when it's released.

My "intuition" tells me that doing an OS 8 upgrade over an OS 7 where something is really wrong somewhere (and probably the registry is scrambled in terms of Visual Studio and .NET related entries, as a result of all my installs and un-installs) is probably foolish.

Advice ?

thanks, Bill

Bill Woodruff

• Edited by dotScience Monday, October 29, 2012 9:12 AM clarified several statements
    Monday, October 29, 2012 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

Yes, maybe it is a way to solve the issue of your failure to use Visual Studio.

Something should be pointed:

If we upgrade to Windows 8, all the softwares installed in your compute will be cleaned. You need to reinstall them. However some user files on the desk will be retained.

If you just want to solve the issue of Visual Studio, you can try having a previous installing in Windows 7.

Best regards,

Disley

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:04 AM
  • Disley: "If we upgrade to Windows 8, all the softwares installed in your compute will be cleaned. You need to reinstall them. However some user files on the desk will be retained."

Not necessarily correct: See: Windows 8 on-line upgrade

You can upgrade from Windows 7 Pro on-line from Microsoft to Windows 8 Pro, and many applications/drivers and their settings can be transferred. Your motherboard used for Win 7 Pro must also support NX, and have the NX bit turned on in the BIOS. Your CPU must support SSE2. The linked to article above, if you study it thoroughly, should answer all your on-line upgrade of Win 8 over Win 7 questions.

The Windows Upgrade Assistant application software from MS, downloadable from the above link, will test your Win 7 system for compatibility, and tell you whether you can upgrade, and which applications/device drivers can be transferred, and which cannot. In my case, almost my software can be transferred, and there are no significant driver issues.

"If you just want to solve the issue of Visual Studio, you can try having a previous installing in Windows 7."

I'm sorry, but this remark indicates to me you really do not understand the issues I am dealing with here with irremovable "left-overs" of previous Visual Studio installs, and un-installs, but thanks for trying.  I had tried to re-install Visual Studio several times on Win 7,  and I can't even re-install the purchased version of VS Studio Pro 2010 I have. I am posting here because I cannot get any version of Visual Studio working now on this Win 7 machine.

Please do some research before making incorrect global statements about Windows upgrading, and read the posts here thoroughly, before responding.

Bill

Bill Woodruff

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:00 AM