none
How to troubleshoot VS2010 Setup failure RRS feed

• Question

• Reposting from an account that has an MSDN subscription as I understand this gives priority for a response from an MS Support engineer.

My environment:

- Installing VS2010 Ultimate RTM on Windows 7 64 bit.
    - VS2005 and VS2008 are both already installed on this machine.
    - This machine has never had beta or RC versions of VS2010 or the .NET Framework 4.
    - Microsoft Security Essentials is installed - no other AV software.

- The first part of the install went OK including a reboot and the setup restarting.
    - The PC froze completely at the step "Installing Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate"
    - After waiting 20 minutes I powered off and on and attempted to restart the Setup.
    - The setup froze again, this time while displaying "Setup is loading installation components"
    - Again, when the setup freezes, the whole machine eventually freezes.  (e.g. I was unable to start TaskManager).
    - Powered off and tried again, same result
    - Powered off, disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and tried again, same result.
    - There is a file %TEMP%\dd_install_vs_vstscore_100.txt, but I don't see any obvious clues in it.

So:
    - How can I troubleshoot this problem?
    - Is there a way I can undo the partial install that's taken place so I can try again from the start?

Thursday, April 15, 2010 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Joe2,

Thank you for your reply.

I have received your email and checked the log files.

The steps to reinstall are as follows:

- Directory: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Templates\LoadTest\Network
    - File: 3G.network

Based on the log files, there seems to be no obvious error messages to be logged inside.

The following is the latest log information that I could find:

MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:792]: File: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Samples\1033\TeamTest Samples.zip; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:792]: Source for file 'TeamTestSamples_zip_x86_enu' is compressed
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: SetSourceFolder(Folder=1\xlqr-nev\VS100.NET\TeamTool\qtpevmb9\FxCop\|Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: ChangeMedia(,MediaPrompt=Please insert the disk: 1,MediaCabinet=1\cab58.cab,BytesPerTick=65536,CopierType=1,,,SignatureRequired=1,SignatureCert=BinaryData,,IsFirstPhysicalMedia=1)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=wdu7e4_x.xml|CustomDictionary.xml,SourceCabKey=CodeAnalysis_CustomDictionary.xml_x86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,DestName=CustomDictionary.xml,Attributes=16896,FileSize=20083,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,,,InstallMode=58982400,HashOptions=0,HashPart1=463953436,HashPart2=455564629,HashPart3=-127928983,HashPart4=1157404323,,)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: File: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\CustomDictionary.xml; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Source for file 'CodeAnalysis_CustomDictionary.xml_x86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8' is compressed

Then the log stops. It might be that the installation froze.

We might need to do some work to eliminate some possible cause of your concern. I will have a try to help you on your concern.

Could you please help me to check the following link to repair your Windows Installer?
    Please check: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vista-the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed/

Please remember to temporarily turn off your anti-virus software or firewall before the installation.

If the installation still freezes, could you please help me to try the Process Monitor toolhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspxwhich can capture the access log?
    Filter on the process name setup.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the freezing happens.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, April 16, 2010 8:42 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Joe2 Friday, April 16, 2010 5:08 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 5:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Joe2,

Based on your description, it seems that Visual Studio 2010 setup froze during the installation.

To troubleshoot Visual Studio 2010 installation issue, we need to collect the log files to track the root cause of the problem.
    Could you please help me to try the following steps?

- Check whether you install VS2010 with the Administrator account
    Try to clean your "%temp%" folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp%")
    - Install VS2010
      (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right-click the installer >> "Run as Administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
       Collect tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0da314f-6216-4a18-bc6b-7d29cf83af20&displaylang=en
    - Diagnose the cause of failure installation
       Option 1:
       Try the points mentioned here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/0376db8f-4761-4ae5-9af2-98c53216318a#How_to_diagnoseVS2008_NETFramework_logs to diagnose the cause of failure installation.
       Option 2:
       Send vslogs.cab file to me (v-yicche@microsoft.com)
       Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

For your second question, in fact, VS2010 installer will determine what needs to be installed and attempts to install these required components during installation. It might be not necessary to remove the installed components.
    If you want to remove them, you can manually remove the components that have be installed on your machine via Control Panel >> Programs and Features to start from scratch.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 10:20 AM
  • Thanks for your response.
    I have emailed the logs from the latest attempt to run Setup:

- I first emptied the %TEMP% folder
    - Then ran Setup as Administrator
    - Again the machine froze completely while setup was displaying "Setup is loading installation components"

After powering off and on and running chkdsk I collected the attached logs.

The original freeze happened during the step "Installing Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate".
    A number of prerequisites were installed successfully (e.g. .NET Framework 4.0) before it got this far.

In Add/Remove Programs I don't see "Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate".

Which of the prerequisites do I need to uninstall to get back to a clean situation for a new attempt?

Thanks again.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:00 AM
  • > It might be not necessary to remove the installed components.

I hope it won't be necessary to remove them if you can help me identify and correct the cause of setup freezing each time I try to re-run it.

> If you want to remove them, you can manually remove the components that have be installed on your machine via Control Panel >> Programs and > Features to start from scratch.

I'll do this if you think it will help.  I have listed below all the components that were apparently successfully installed before the first install attempt froze.  Which ones do you suggest I uninstall, and in which order?

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4974
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Runtime 10.0.30319
    Microsoft Visual F# 2.0 Runtime
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Runtime 10.0.30319
    Visual Studio 2010 Prerequisites - English
    Microsoft Visual Studio Macro Tools
    Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Object Model - ENU
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

Thursday, April 15, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Yichun Chen:

Thanks for your help.  I have emailed logs to v-yicche@microsoft.com  from an attempt to reinstall from scratch as detailed below.

I would appreciate it if you could confirm you have received the logs as I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

- OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    - Uninstalled all previously installed components except the .NET Framework 4
    - Rebooted for good luck
    - Cleaned the %TEMP% directory
    - Disabled Microsoft Security Essentials Real Time Protection (the only AV installed)
    - Ran Setup.exe using "Run as Administrator" from a folder containing all files extracted from the ISO image
    - Clicked on "Install Visual Studio 2010"
    - Setup successfully loaded several components - see list below (*)
    - Setup started installing Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
    - Machine froze completely.
    - When the machine froze, the following was displayed:
      - Installing "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate"
      - Progress bar approx 75%
      - Directory: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Templates\LoadTest\Network

So it looks like I can consistently reproduce the original freeze.  Is there any more information I can collect to help with troubleshooting?

(*) List of successfully installed components:
     VC 9.0 Runtime (x86)
     VC 10.0 Runtime (x86)
     VC 10.0 Runtime (x64)
     Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 64bit Prerequisites (x64)
     Microsoft F# Runtime
     TFS Object Model (x64)
     .NET Framework 4 Multi-Targeting Pack

Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Hi Joe2,

Thank you for your reply.

I have received your email and checked the log files.

Based on the log files, there seems to be no obvious error messages to be logged inside.

The following is the latest log information that I could find:

MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:792]: File: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Samples\1033\TeamTest Samples.zip; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:792]: Source for file 'TeamTestSamples_zip_x86_enu' is compressed
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: SetTargetFolder(Folder=c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: SetSourceFolder(Folder=1\xlqr-nev\VS100.NET\TeamTool\qtpevmb9\FxCop\|Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: ChangeMedia(,MediaPrompt=Please insert the disk: 1,MediaCabinet=1\cab58.cab,BytesPerTick=65536,CopierType=1,,,SignatureRequired=1,SignatureCert=BinaryData,,IsFirstPhysicalMedia=1)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=wdu7e4_x.xml|CustomDictionary.xml,SourceCabKey=CodeAnalysis_CustomDictionary.xml_x86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,DestName=CustomDictionary.xml,Attributes=16896,FileSize=20083,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,,,InstallMode=58982400,HashOptions=0,HashPart1=463953436,HashPart2=455564629,HashPart3=-127928983,HashPart4=1157404323,,)
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: File: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Team Tools\Static Analysis Tools\FxCop\CustomDictionary.xml; To be installed; Won't patch; No existing file
    MSI (s) (4C:14) [20:48:55:796]: Source for file 'CodeAnalysis_CustomDictionary.xml_x86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8' is compressed

Then the log stops. It might be that the installation froze.

We might need to do some work to eliminate some possible cause of your concern. I will have a try to help you on your concern.

Could you please help me to check the following link to repair your Windows Installer?
    Please check: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vista-the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed/

Please remember to temporarily turn off your anti-virus software or firewall before the installation.

If the installation still freezes, could you please help me to try the Process Monitor toolhttp://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/processmonitor.mspxwhich can capture the access log?
    Filter on the process name setup.exe in the log so that you see only the related list.
    This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the freezing happens.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, April 16, 2010 8:42 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by Joe2 Friday, April 16, 2010 5:08 PM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 5:18 AM
  • Success!

Here are the next steps I tried after the last failure I described above:

- Rebooted, cleared %TEMP% folder
    - Ensured Microsoft Security Essentials was disabled
    - Started Windows Installer service manually as recommended by YiChun Chen (Please check:http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vista-the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed/).  The service started successfully.
    - Started procmon.exe and filtered on process names setup.exe and msiexec.exe
    - Started setup.exe using "Run as Administrator"

This time everything went through without a hitch.

Thanks YiChun for your help.

Friday, April 16, 2010 5:08 PM
  • Hi Joe2,

It's my pleasure!

I'm so glad to hear that it works. Cheer!

Have a good experience of Visual Studio 2010.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:22 PM