none
What version of VS does the new Spec Explorer require? RRS feed

• Question

• An new Spec Explorer msi is available at

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52461

The page states it is supported on "Windows 10 , Windows 7, Windows 8."  I'd hoped that meant that it therefore also be supported in Visual Studio 2017 - the previous release was limited to VS 2012.

I ran the install on my Windows 10 machine with VS EE installed and then ran the new Spex msi, which ran with no complaints. When I open VS 17 E,  I don't see the "Spec Explorer" menu item in the usual place.

It looks like the new version doesn't run with current VS - is Spex still limited to VS 12?

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Bob Binder,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I’m sorry for that but you are right. According to the Docs, the latest release version of Spex shows that it only supported VS2012 and see the Docs was last edited on 2013. Since then, we have no any Docs indicates Spec update to a higher version.

What’s more, I find some members has report this problem to MS product team to ask support Spex in VS 2015. In my view, I would like to recommend you add a comment with some specific reason in the thread or create a new “report a problem” to support VS 2017 or VS2019 in: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/8/index.html .

If you submit this suggestion, I hope you could post that link here, so that other community members who are interested in this issue will help you vote it, so do I certainly. After that, please be patient waiting for the response from the VS Product Team Engineers.

Thank you for your understanding and sorry for this inconveniences.

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Bob Binder Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:02 AM