none
Visual Studio 2015 Page Inspector missing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In Visual Studio 2015 the Page Inspector option seems to be missing. Has it been removed? It was a useful tool for web development in VS 2013 and I was hoping it would continue to be developed.

I've Googled this topic but haven't been able to get a definitive answer.

Thanks

BWG

BWG

Sunday, October 4, 2015 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi bwg1000,

Please be patient for the response from the connect. Please propose or mark the reply which helpful. I will close this thread. If any question, please create a new thread in our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by bwg1000 Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:53 AM

All replies

• Hi bwg1000,

"Page Inspector has been retired in Visual Studio 2015 due to new tools that solve the same problem much better, such as Browser Link and Internet Explorer's developer tools." There has other communities have submit this feature to connect and Microsoft engineer has responsed.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1430179/i-cant-see-page-inspector-in-visual-studio-2015-enterprise

"Browser Link allows Visual Studio to automatically initiate actions in connected browsers; it can automatically reload the page when you change code that affects the page. And it works in the other direction; you can make changes in the browser that automatically update code in the Visual Studio project." More information about Browser Link, please refer to following article.

http://webtooling.visualstudio.com/project-system/browser-link/

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, October 5, 2015 1:03 PM
  • Thanks but when using browser link with web forms / Internet Explorer I get the following alert message:

Design Mode doesn't work for ASP.NET Web Forms

Is there a way to make Design and Inspect modes work with web forms? Without these options Browser Link doesn't replace Page Inspector. 

BWG

Monday, October 5, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Hi bwg1000,

How do you using browser link with WebForms/Internet Explorer? Please do with following steps.
    1.Create a WebForms project with Visual Studio 2015.
    2.Open "Browser Link Dashboard" as below image. Please confirm that you have checked "Enabel Browser Link".

3.In "Browser Link Dashboard", click "View in Browser". Then this website will run in Browser.

4.In browser, press F12 to open Developer Tools to operate current page.
    5.You also can modify in Designer with Visual Studio 2015, and then refresh browser.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:04 AM
  • Weiwei,

I've followed this process but it does not for me establish a 2 way link. Use case:

1) Set up browser link as you describe

2) Open dev tools (in IE using F12)

3) Select element in page in IE

4)  In Dev tools right click in the DOM explorer and select 'Edit as HTML'

5) Make a change to the HTML

The change IS shown in IE but it is NOT pushed back to the page source which is open in Visual Studio 2015. When I then 'Refresh' in browser link the unmodified page is reloaded. 

Ideas?

BWG

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 6:44 AM
  • Hi bwg1000,

I do following steps in Visual Studio 2013 with  Page Inspector. The modified content is also not push back to the page source which is open in Visual Studio 2013.

1.  Select a page in solution.
    2. Right-click -> View in Page Inspector.
    3. Select an element in page with Inspect.
    4. Modify the element (add "aaa" behind the "Learn more") and it shows change in Page Inspect window immediately as below image.
    5. Refresh current page in Page Inspect window, it also loading the original page.

In my opinion, we often modify the content, such as styles, in IE -> Developer Tools. Then copy the modified style into source code which opened in Visual Studio. Or modify in Visual Studio and then refresh in browser.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 4:40 AM
  • One of the useful features in Page Inspector was the ability to mouseover an element in a page and have the source file opened. For example, if a web form loads user controls page inspector would allow you to quickly find the applicable .ascx. In big projects this function was very useful and given the limitations of browser link in web forms it seems as though we have lost this. 

BWG

Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:49 PM
  • Hi bwg1000,

I try to find some alternative ways to implement the Page Inspector function. But I find that I can't select an element on page and then locate it in source code in Visual Studio 2015. Other communities have submit this problem to connect. Please add comment in this feedback.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedbackdetail/view/1412439/page-inspector-missing

If you want to keep this function when you developing, I suggest you using Visual Studio 2013.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, October 9, 2015 1:33 AM
  • Thanks. I've posted my Feedback. Basically if Browser Link replicated the functionality of Page Inspector in Web Forms it would be great. But it doesn't!

BWG

Monday, October 12, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Hi bwg1000,

Please be patient for the response from the connect. Please propose or mark the reply which helpful. I will close this thread. If any question, please create a new thread in our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by bwg1000 Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:53 AM