VS 2012 web install fails on Windows 8.1 with compatibility mode error RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install VS 2012 on win 8.1 preview.  The installation log file reports the following information:

Condition '(VersionNT = v6.2) AND (netfxfullredist_43_DetectKey < v4.5.50709)' evaluates to false.
    MUX:  Stop Block: CompatibilityMode : Windows Program Compatibility mode is on. Turn it off and then try Setup again

Compatibility mode is NOT on for the executable. Any ideas how to work around this issue?

• Edited by KCH Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:19 AM
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi KCH,

Windows 8.1 Preview is not listed as a supported OS version of VS2012. On Win 8.1 Preview please install Visual Studio 2013 Preview now. If you need Visual Studio 2012, please consider use Windows 8.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:22 AM
    • Proposed as answer by pvdg42 Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:57 PM
    Monday, July 29, 2013 5:16 AM
  • But I've been able to install VS12 on Win8.1 successfully with an ISO version.

Thanks !!

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:37 AM
  • Renaming the setup exe to vs_premium.exe or vs_ultimate.exe (depending on what you wish to install) will fix the issue :)

Albert van Peppen

• Proposed as answer by viral_demon Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:05 AM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 12:57 PM
  • This works, but.... I can't imagine why this works. Still, thank you very much! 

The suggestion to use Visual Studio 2013 instead is entirely ridiculous. Visual studio is a very expensive product and purchasing a new version every year... Not to mention adapting to a new build system and upgrading all of the solutions and projects. It's a nightmare upon a nightmare if someone, like me, has hundreds of projects in hundreds of solutions.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:07 AM
  • Hi all,

I relize that I should unmark this case. Yes my post is not reasonable but I was not allowed to say anything about a beta software. We've got VS2010 compatibility issue on Win 8 before. Although it has been fixed.

"The suggestion to use Visual Studio 2013 instead is entirely ridiculous. "

Hi viral_demon, please notice either Visual Studio 2013 Preview or Visual Studio 2013 RC is beta version and you can get it to use for free in a few days. What's more, Win 8.1 Preview is also a preview version. If you need to use Windows 8.1, I would recommend you wait for RTM. Please read the following:

Notes before you download      

Windows 8.1 Preview is prerelease software that may be substantially modified before it’s commercially released. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided here. Some product features and functionality may require additional hardware or software.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:22 AM
  • I'm using Windows 8.1 RTM and got VS 2012 Ultimate to install.  I have downloaded both via my MSDN subscription.  I mounted the VS2012 iso in Explorer (just double clicked) and then I copied the contents of the VS ISO to a folder on my desktop.  Finally I ran vs_ultimate.exe as Administrator using the right click menu and Run as administrator. 

I don't know why VS2012 wouldn't install from the ISO image.  I also tried running the installer from the ISO as administrator and that failed the same way as installing from my user account.

Hope this works for you.

Erik

Thanks, Erik

• Edited by erikarthur Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:24 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:24 PM
  • This worked for me as well, though I have no idea why.  I tried everything to get around the Windows Program Compatibility error while installing Visual Studio 2012 Premium off a network share exe (copied locally) on Windows 8.1 but to no avail, until I read the suggestion to rename the exe to "vs_premium.exe".  Worked immediately after that.  It makes no sense why that would matter, but I'm just happy it works.  Thanks Albert van Peppen for the answer.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 11:19 PM
  • Hi KCH , 

When you have problem with windows 8.1 on visual studio 

using ISO and copy the setup to ISO with software like magic ISO and other software and run the setup as the Administrator 

Now you never get error because you doing offline installing 

I Do it and it work perfectly smooth no laggy 

Saturday, September 20, 2014 9:14 AM