SharePoint Designer Wokflow, Http web service action, pass windows credentials RRS feed

• Question

• I have deployed a WCF service on my production server and it is working with windows authentication, I want to call that server from Office 365 sharepoint workflow, I am using HTTP web service action but getting :

401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

I can access service in browser by providing my domain credentials, How I can configure workflow to use my windows credentials?

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In the calling web service action of SharePoint workflow, I don't think you can pass Windows credentials to an externla web service. If your WCF service is protected by authentication, you have to make it support OAuth. During the call to your WCF service, you can make a first call to a special endpoint, and get a security token from the response. By including the security token to the further calls, you should be able to access the data.

Another method you may try is to develop a sandbox solution, and create a custom web service in the sandbox solution for your workflow to consume. In the sandbox solution, you can envelop the external WCF. Here's an article about details http://www.threewill.com/sandboxed-web-service/.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by star.wars Thursday, July 9, 2015 10:22 AM
    Thursday, June 25, 2015 7:09 AM