none
move code from .net core to .net framework RRS feed

• Question

• Just to clarify I'm not a .net developer, mostly just a cloud engineer at this point.

Our dev team had made a decision based on a conversation with Microsoft that we should target .net core for our fully cloud based application (azure app services/azure sql), anyway this seems to have been a bad decision since ADAL is not fully baked in to .net core.  So any authentication to azure sql needs to be based on connection strings with username/passwords which is bad, it can't really be made to pass our security audits.  We need AD integrated auth to work which seems like it may not happen anytime soon due to some closed source components.  

My question as a non .net developer is how easy would it be to port this code to .net framework,  my gut feeling is that it should be easy since .net core is mostly a subset of .net framework, correct?  My dev's are saying that its not that easy, just trying to understand the issue.

Since this is going to be a cloud based app in azure we don't have a reason to worry about portability do we? Even after stating this I do know that we are trying to be cloud agnostic but its not currently a requirement and probably long term won't be.

the only other issue is performance I guess but our site is not going to be used by thousands of users simultaneously.  

thanks

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi tonyroth,

>>my gut feeling is that it should be easy since .net core is mostly a subset of .net framework, correct? 

No, .NET Framework and .NET Core. Both share a lot of the same .NET platform components and you can share code across the two. However, there are fundamental differences between the two. For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/choosing-core-framework-server

>>the only other issue is performance I guess but our site is not going to be used by thousands of users simultaneously.  

About performance issue, it is more related to asp.net, I would suggest that you could post your issue on asp.net forum for suitable support.

https://forums.asp.net/15.aspx/1?Getting+Started

Best regards,

Cole Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 2:01 AM