Upgrade from TFS 2013 on SQL Server 2012 to TFS 2017 on SQL Server 2016

Question

• I'm in the process of setting up new instance of TFS 2017 on a fresh new box.  However, the upgrade and migration process is giving me headaches.  Can someone please help me with a few ideas?

I'm managing Team Project Collections for 2 departments and would like to upgrade each department when they're ready.  Therefore I need both servers running with their respective Collections.

My old TFS server is as follows:

• Windows Server 2008 R2
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP3 v11.0.6020.0 x64

My new TFS server is as follows:

• Windows Server 2012
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2016 SP1 v13.0.4411.0 x64

TFS 2017 requires SQL Server 2014 or 2016.  Therefore, I can't upgrade the old server to TFS 2017, then migrate the Team Collections to the new server.

Option 1

Install TFS 2015 on the new box, then migrate to this instance, then upgrade to 2017.  This is the recommended approach going from 2005 to 2015 as written here:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/upgrade/tfs-2005-to-2015

Option 2

Wipe the install and run the migration wizard during re-install.  This option requires that I upgrade and migrate both Collections at the same time, which is possible but not desired.

Option 3

Find another way to run the migration wizard.  The only way I've found is through the initial setup of TFS 2017 thusfar.

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi JibbaJamba,

Thank you for posting here.

You just want to migrate a part of team project collections to TFS 2017, so I suggest that you could try to:

1. Install SQL Server 2016 on the new machine.

2. Detach the collection in TFS2015 you do not want to migrate.

3. Use the TFSServiceControl quiesce to turn off all the TFS services on TFS2015(old TFS).

4. Backup the TFS databases like configuration and collection databases or other datbases (Not include the collection database you do not want to move).

5. Use the TFSServiceControl quiesce to turn on all the TFS services on TFS2015(old TFS).

6. Attach the collection in TFS2015 you detach before.

Then at that time, you will get the databases which did not include the collections you do not want to move.

7. Restore the databases on the new SQL Server 2016 instance.

8. Since you want to use the old and new server at the same time, you need to reconfigure server IDs and remap databases like the following link:

#(Clone option) Reconfigure server IDs and remap databases

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/move-clone-hardware#clone-option-reconfigure-server-ids-and-remap-databases

9. Run the upgrade wizard in new TFS2017 server to upgrade the TFS2015 databases to TFS2017.

If you want to migrate the remaining databases to TFS2017 in the future, you just need move the collection database like the following link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/move-project-collection

The attach process will update the collection database to TFS2017 automatically.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JibbaJamba Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:32 AM

All replies

• I may have misled you all, I upgraded my 2013 to 2015 first.  Then I found out it wasn't required.  Bleh!

Monday, April 17, 2017 6:07 PM
  • I also tried the migration steps taking a Collection from source to destination, but it requires upgrading it first.  It won't upgrade it as you attempt to attach it. In other words, I couldn't attach a detached TFS 2015 Collection to a TFS 2017 environment. It makes sense because it's not compatible, but wouldn't it be nice if it ran the upgrade wizard...
    Monday, April 17, 2017 6:14 PM
  • Hi JibbaJamba,

Thank you for posting here.

You just want to migrate a part of team project collections to TFS 2017, so I suggest that you could try to:

1. Install SQL Server 2016 on the new machine.

2. Detach the collection in TFS2015 you do not want to migrate.

3. Use the TFSServiceControl quiesce to turn off all the TFS services on TFS2015(old TFS).

4. Backup the TFS databases like configuration and collection databases or other datbases (Not include the collection database you do not want to move).

5. Use the TFSServiceControl quiesce to turn on all the TFS services on TFS2015(old TFS).

6. Attach the collection in TFS2015 you detach before.

Then at that time, you will get the databases which did not include the collections you do not want to move.

7. Restore the databases on the new SQL Server 2016 instance.

8. Since you want to use the old and new server at the same time, you need to reconfigure server IDs and remap databases like the following link:

#(Clone option) Reconfigure server IDs and remap databases

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/move-clone-hardware#clone-option-reconfigure-server-ids-and-remap-databases

9. Run the upgrade wizard in new TFS2017 server to upgrade the TFS2015 databases to TFS2017.

If you want to migrate the remaining databases to TFS2017 in the future, you just need move the collection database like the following link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/tfs/admin/move-project-collection

The attach process will update the collection database to TFS2017 automatically.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JibbaJamba Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:32 AM