none
c# message system for console applications RRS feed

• Question

• The program I'm working on is a program that lets users post support tickets and other related tickets. The problem I have is that I need to make some kind of a message system. Where users and sysops can leave messages to each other. Related to the ticket. I am using SQl Server Compact. I need to com up with an idea and well I'm stump. I was hoping maybe that some one would have an idea or 2.

The other question is that I need to come up with a text box for console applications. This idea is for the message body.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:44 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the info. How ever. That I don't need. The coding in the net working has all ready been done. The problem I have is how to make a Free form for the message body. It would be just like sending an email or any other message. The thing is that the messages don't go any where. They remain on the PC that's running the software.

You've already complete the code? Then did you debug it? Were there any exceptions?

What's the code like? Please post it here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Joesoft11a Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:21 AM
    Friday, December 6, 2013 10:04 AM

All replies

• Have tried self hosting ASP.NET Web API?

Paulo Morgado

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:35 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, What does asp.net have to do with concole applications.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 8:39 AM
  • A console application can host WCF services and ASP.NET Web API services.

Paulo Morgado

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:16 AM
  • By hosting, you mean they can run the services. Ok, so maybe I'm not following you. So again what does this have to do with creating some kind of message system for this concole application. can you explain in detail and do you have a sample of what I'm looking for.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Paulo, Thanks. How ever No, This is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to create a message system with in the concole application. So users can leave each other messages. What you saying is that I would have to run some kind of program for the hosting and then have the application connect to that host, Sorry this is not what I wanted...

The program I'm coding is Telnet related. 2 users or 200 users could be using this program. The idea us to setup some thing that users can check on the status of some thing, and then others can leave messages related to status on any thing.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:56 AM
  • You mean like a chat system?

Have you looked at ASP.NET SignalR?

Paulo Morgado

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Nope, not like a chat system, Its a message system. Let's say I worked 1st shift at this business and you work 2nd shift at the same business. My on the PC, that you use all so. I have some info I wanted to tell you about. So there's a program that will let me leave you a message. When my shift ends and your shift starts. You walk in and sit down in front of the PC. Up at the top of the screen you see some thing that says (M) messages waiting (1)).

You press M and you can read the message I left you. This can up date your self on what's going on. See this message system only relates to just that PC. No one else can read the messages. Unless they were in front of it.The option I have is that the user has to log in from a telnet connection.

Dies this explain it better to what I'm looking for. I been playing a round with some ideas. So far I haven't got too far to see if any thing would work.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:26 PM
  • Hi Joesoft11a,

I'm sure what you need is regarding network programming, since you need your computer to send messages to another one or receive messages from another one. I would like you to read this MSDN document:

Network Programming

The basics of network programming is Socket Programming, which is based on Windows Sockets. Here's also another introduction about Socket Programming in C#:

An Introduction to Socket Programming in .NET using C#

According to your description, seems that you need to exchange messages within a local network. UDP protocol may be a good choice, check this MSDN document: Using UDP Services.

Do some searching and a large amount of information about network programming will come out.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, December 6, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Thanks for the info. How ever. That I don't need. The coding in the net working has all ready been done. The problem I have is how to make a Free form for the message body. It would be just like sending an email or any other message. The thing is that the messages don't go any where. They remain on the PC that's running the software.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Friday, December 6, 2013 9:50 AM

You've already complete the code? Then did you debug it? Were there any exceptions?

What's the code like? Please post it here.

• Marked as answer by Joesoft11a Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:21 AM
    Friday, December 6, 2013 10:04 AM
  • You need to clarify your question as I'm starting to thing that you have your own interpretation of what a .NET/Visual Studio console application and a message system are as well as what a Visual C# issue is.

You might find good examples of what you're looking for in the All-In-One Code Framework:

Paulo Morgado

Friday, December 6, 2013 10:14 AM
  • Ok, Now I'm getting it. I'm starting to think that you 2 guys have no idea on what I'm talking about. Well I'm sorry I can't explain it any better then what I have all ready done. Let me try one more thing.

Ok, Guys go back, WAY back like 40 years ago when the internet was just coming out. Remember the older option's They are called. BBS's. (Bulletin Board System) After all this time. They still run to day. There's only 2 software developers left. SBBS is (Synchronet) and VBBS is (Virual Advance), These are the only 2 BBS software that are left and free. This BBS's use what I call a free form, For creating the message body of the BBS for message networks. Like Fidonet.  Sorry, There's no other way for me to explain this.

Ok, Now to answer your question Caillen Zlong. The network code I use is not my work. Every one that I showed the code too couldn't figure out the code for the sockets. This code is for making small console applications that the BBS can run. This software is call "RMLib" and it's free including the source code. If you want to download it you can download it here. RMLib .It's been a long time sense I been on his web site. So it looks like he mite have updated the Library, How ever your free it look and have fun.

Joe M

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

• Edited by Joesoft11a Friday, December 6, 2013 10:32 AM Forgot some thing
    Friday, December 6, 2013 10:31 AM
  • Hello,

The best way to help you is by representing questions to you rather than a definite answer, this way you may come up with an idea and it will also help us get more information about the system so we can help you more. :)

So let's see so far we know that:

1) You have a requirement to build a messaging system.

2) A user can leave a message to another user.

3) You want users to connect the program using telnet.

Now, as I understand it the application you need to build is a server program that all it does is register messages and then people can connect to it and check their messages similar to a private messaging system?

Here are few questions.

1) Initially, I made an assumption that people connect to a centralized system, meaning, there's one computer that stores the information and everyone connect to that specific computer, is that correct? is it a P2P based program?

2) How the system resolves the sender and the sendee? how does it know whether John allow to see a message?

3) What is telnet for you? is it related to the telnet program? or the telnet protocol itself?

Regards,

Eyal Shilony

Friday, December 6, 2013 11:44 AM
  • 1) Initially, I made an assumption that people connect to a centralized system, meaning, there's one computer that stores the information and everyone connect to that specific computer, is that correct? is it a P2P based program?

2) How the system resolves the sender and the sendee? how does it know whether John allow to see a message?

3) What is telnet for you? is it related to the telnet program? or the telnet protocol itself?

1) No it's not. The sysop of a BBS can run the BBS software. The users can connect to the BBS and then access the doors menu. The user runs the new door program and can access any area in the program the coder wants them to be in.

2) Users Names from the SQl Server Compact database. When a user runs the door program for the 1st time. There name is entered into the database. This info about the user is from a BBS Drop Files.

3) A telnet program it self. Like I said the BBS software is free for every one. Any one with a public static IP Address and a spare PC can run a BBS. Even some offer free domains. Go here and read on what a BBS is. It will help. Bulletin Board System.

Any way like I said. You guys don't have to go on. I all ready added this in. Using the SQL Server Compact database. I was hoping for some thing simple like using a binary file to hold all the messages in. See I setup a Mail box for this user. The mail box reports any messages left by other from the main menu.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Friday, December 6, 2013 12:03 PM
  • Yeah, I know what is a BBS, in fact I wrote PPEs in Pascal to PCBoard back in the days, however, what I was hoping to achieve with these questions is a discussion about your problem that will help you either solve it or help us understand the actual problem you're trying to solve.

If you solved it then you can mark your answer. :)

Regards,

Eyal Shilony

Friday, December 6, 2013 11:13 PM
  • Nope. I still have no idea on what to do or how to do it. When I can come up with an idea that will let me create the same kind of editor, Then this post is mark as completed and the answered.

Pro-Forums
    Delta Force Barracks
    On the Frontlines

Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:22 AM