none
Which is best database for Vb.net

Question

• I have developed a vb.net application with access 2003 database. Now I need to change the database for this software. So which is best database I can use to replace  my existing database among Oracle, Mysql or Sql server?

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Without knowing what you need from a database it's impossible to recommend a database.

For instance, how many users would be accessing the database or is this for a single user? If you can provide a overview of what is asked of the current database (ms-access) to do in your application what would be good along with is there something ms-access is not doing for you presently.

More details are better than less.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 9:52 AM
  • Thank you for your response.

One user will be accessing the software at a time. It is a Quiz software and standalone software. The only reason why I am changing the database is because I got order now not to use Access database because its obsolete.

So could you please guide me to choose between Oracle, Mysql or Sql server.

I don't know any of these scripting languages, so should start from scratch. Please suggest me the language which has future scope to.

Waiting for your response.   

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:03 AM
  • For one person, on one machine, no other users then SQL-Server Express edition. You can work with SQL-Server in many ways, using SqlClient data provider (in ms-access this would be OleDb data provider). 

If one person at a time with the possibility of more users from other machines you should look at MySql.

I would discard using Oracle altogether for quizzing software as it would be overkill.

No matter which one you select, if you are currently using TableAdapter/Dataset/BindingSource to work with data, now is the time to move away from them and look at using a managed data provider or Entity Framework.

Note you can write SQL directly in Visual Studio, starting with VS2017 there is a free edition of Red-Gate SQL-Prompt (I have the pro version but have not updated yet to see the difference between standard and pro) which provides in this case intellisense.

If you have a well designed database then you can migrate ms-access to SQL-Server with T-SQL or a utility called Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:12 AM
  • What you prefer, a GM car or a Ford car. 

That is the same kind of question you asking currently.

And in forums you only gets biased replies.

By the way MySQL is an Oracle product.

So your asking in fact with the analogy to the cars:  "GM, Chevrolet or Ford."

Success Cor

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:36 AM
  • The best database for me might be a lousy choice for you. It is usually not good to ask what is the "best". For example Karen asks "For instance, how many users would be accessing the database or is this for a single user?". If the answer to the question of which is best were to always be the same then there would never be a need for any others. If you were to ask people what is the best car then you would get many answers specifying many different cars.

You don't say what is used for the current application. Has it been split into a back-end database and a front-end database as in Split an Access database - Access? Doing that might make it easier to convert to some other database.

Consider learning Entity Framework. That will take time for you to learn but it will be useful in the future for many things.

You should decide whether you want to develop a WPF or UWP application or somethinge else.

Consider using SQLite. It is provided with current versions of Windows and the EF supports it.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 7:19 PM
  • It is a Quiz software and standalone software.

Maybe none.

If you'd care to explain just what your program does - if you want help - then I'll do my best to help with it.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Wednesday, December 27, 2017 11:29 PM
  • Thank you for your response.

One user will be accessing the software at a time. It is a Quiz software and standalone software. The only reason why I am changing the database is because I got order now not to use Access database because its obsolete.

So could you please guide me to choose between Oracle, Mysql or Sql server.

I don't know any of these scripting languages, so should start from scratch. Please suggest me the language which has future scope to.

Waiting for your response.   

Usually a quiz is pretty simple and may not even require a database. More details would be great. Things like:
    Is it multiple choice ?
    If so, are there instances where more than one choice is correct, or instances where more than one choice is required to be correct but that choice is not directly included ?

If it is just a question and an answer must be typed in, how much leeway is allowed ?

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:43 PM
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Microsoft Access is not obsolete, but if you must change then I would recommend using SQLite. Oracle, MySQL and SQL Server are all overkill for your implementation and require that additional components be installed and configured.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:04 PM