none
Doc bug: The Shell and Managed Code RRS feed

• Question

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd758089(VS.85).aspx

The doc says that "At this time, only one version of the common language runtime can be loaded into a process at one time. Therefore, Microsoft recommends against writing managed Shell extensions and does not consider them a supported scenario.".

CLR 4's in-proc sxs feature allows more than one version of CLR runtime loaded into a process, so it should be supported to write shell extension in .NET 4, right? The MSDN article needs to be updated.

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:24 AM

Answers

• This comes up as (VS.85) version content, as you see in the URL.  I don't know how the Windows SDK documentation is versioned and updated (maybe someone else can fill in the detail).  Nonetheless, I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't get addressed until the SDK comes out for the next version of Windows.  It is valid as of the version of Windows that documentation was written for.  You can see that someone has already added Community Content to that documentation.

There have been articles to the effect that this is now feasible for .NET 4.0.  Writing a shell extension in managed code is the bleeding edge --- I'm not sure whether the wisdom is yet that it is a good idea to write managed shell code.  Any experiences out there?

• Marked as answer by SamAgain Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:06 AM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:40 PM