none
Get ALL the versions of Visual Studio on the Open With list RRS feed

• Question

• This is something bothering me for years now.
    How can I have ALL my Visual Studio versions : from 2010 to 2017 in the Open With list of Explorer.

I'm on Windows 10
    in the reg key, for example, I see Visual Studio 2015. but why is it not listed ?

• Edited by RichardGe Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:00 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

After doing some tests, I think it is related to OS.

1. Windows 10; visual studio 2015 and visual studio 2017 installed

Choose the default app for .sln file(Settings  > Apps > Default apps), there is no visual studio 2015 in the list. This may be the reason why visual studio 2015 is not in “open with” list. (I have also checked this in registry.)

In addition to this, trying to only install visual studio 2015 on another win10 machine, but there is still no visual studio 2015 in the list, I can only see Microsoft visual studio version selector.

Usually, we set Microsoft visual studio version selector as the default app and it will chooses the correct Visual Studio to open the .SLN file with.

However, we can still open solution in visual studio 2015 by selecting “choose another app” and then choose visual studio 2015.

2. windows 7; visual studio 2015 and visual studio 2017 installed

Visual studio 2015 is available in the “open with” list.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 29, 2019 8:48 AM