none
Intellisense and ARM_C++

Question

• Hi,

I've recently switched from mBed to the new Community Preview 3, because of the official support of ARM compilation. All work, the makefile build the project without a single issue and I'm even able to debug my STM32F769-Disco!

The problem come from Intellisense: EVERY TIME I open my "project" (it's not a solution but rather a simple folder) Intellisense start browsing the project for hours (it take about 4 hours to complete the tasks). While it do that, I can't find anything in my project and my CPU (yeah i know it's a old & slow 720qm) spike on 4-6 cores at 50-70%. 

So, is there a way that this demon don't loose his memory every time?

Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to the MSDN forum and sorry for this inconvenience.

Does this issue happen to all your projects or just this specific project? Please try to directly create a new C++ project and check if this issue persists or not.

If any projects meet this issue, please try to run the VS installer as administrator and More-Repair to repair it, or open CMD and navigate to the VS 2017 installation folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\xxx\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode to run it as safe mode, then check if the installed extensions caused this issue.

If only this specific project has this issue, does this solution is huge? Can you open it through File-Open-Project/Solution…?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 8, 2018 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the answer! Visual Studio seems to do that only on the exported project of mBed (I followed this article: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2017/10/23/arm-gcc-cross-compilation-in-visual-studio/ ). I would like to work in a freshly created project from Visual Studio, but I don't think that I've aquire the necessary knowledge to import my project folder into a C++ solution. 

Thanks 

Friday, February 9, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Hi friend,

Thank you for your detail information.

Refer to your shared blog, it is better to redirect to this appropriate forum: https://github.com/microsoft/vslinux/issues to start a new issue to seek for a more professional support, since our forum is to discuss the VS IDE and you have the issue about the exported project, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, February 12, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Apologies for jumping into this thread, but IMHO you should urgently look at this VS add-on: https://visualgdb.com  They do same cross-platform things, but apparently better... And they do clang-based intellisence.

-- pa

Monday, February 12, 2018 4:20 PM