VS2012 and VS2013 install side by side? RRS feed

• Question

• A frequency question when new visual studio release..

I just notice VS2013 is RTW, so is it any prerequisite i have to do to install both side by side with VS2012? (e.g. update, patch etc..)

And any issue i have to take care? (installation path, project folder, GAC conflict etc..)

Thanks you. 

My Blog : http://tatmingstudio.blogspot.hk/

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:54 PM

Answers

• I've had them installed side by side for a while now. It works fine. They are independent of each other as far as I can tell.
    • Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Friday, October 18, 2013 5:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Barry Wang Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:08 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi Cheung Tat Ming,

VS2008,VS2010,VS2012 and VS2013 is independent product. You can install them side by side. However, if you meet any installation problem, please feel free to let me know. I can help you report if any problem exist.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:02 AM

All replies

• I've had them installed side by side for a while now. It works fine. They are independent of each other as far as I can tell.
    • Proposed as answer by Barry Wang Friday, October 18, 2013 5:59 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi Cheung Tat Ming,

VS2008,VS2010,VS2012 and VS2013 is independent product. You can install them side by side. However, if you meet any installation problem, please feel free to let me know. I can help you report if any problem exist.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, October 18, 2013 6:02 AM
  • I had VS2012 Professional and then installed VS2013 Premium. My dev box is Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.

Was working on an existing project in VS2012 that was Silverlight5.

When I clicked on a SL5 Project Properties, I notice that the "Signing" property page is missing!
    There is a "placeholder" for the "Signing" menu item but the property page is gone.
    Get a message such as:
    An error occurred trying to load the page.
    Unable to create the designer.  File is already opened in an incompatible editor.

Other devs on the team that do not have VS2013 installed, have no issues with viewing any SL5 Project properties.

Anyone else have this experience?
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:11 PM