none
LogicalTreeHelper.GetChildren() does not work with my custom class RRS feed

• Question

• LogicalTreeHelper.GetChildren() is supposed to give me the object or collection (i.e. children) of a FrameworkElement (I assume that this method looks for the property specified by attribute ContentProperty and fetches the object or collection there).  

LogicalTreeHelper.GetChildren() works fine with an established class such as Button, but I always get an empty IEnumerable when I call it on an object of my own custom class.  Here is a simple code example:

public partial class Window1 : Window
    {

public Window1()
    {

InitializeComponent();

Button btn = new Button();
        btn.Content = "hello";
        // this works fine, the IEnumerable contains one element "hello"

IEnumerable children1 = LogicalTreeHelper.GetChildren(btn);

Film test = new Film();
         test.Title = "goodbye";
        // this returns an empty IEnumerable
        IEnumerable children2 = LogicalTreeHelper.GetChildren(test);  

}

[ContentProperty("Title")]
    public class Film : FrameworkElement
    {
         public object Title {get; set;}
    }

The problem occurs even if I declare Title as a dependency property.

Thanks for any insight you may have.
    hello
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:31 AM

Answers

• Your assumption is incorrect. If you're writing a custom class, it's your job to call AddLogicalChild and RemoveLogicalChild, and to override the LogicalChildren property and provide an enumerator of your own.
    Controls for WPF and Windows Forms at http://www.divelements.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Tao Liang Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:44 AM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:00 AM

All replies

• Your assumption is incorrect. If you're writing a custom class, it's your job to call AddLogicalChild and RemoveLogicalChild, and to override the LogicalChildren property and provide an enumerator of your own.
    Controls for WPF and Windows Forms at http://www.divelements.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Tao Liang Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:44 AM
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 11:00 AM
  • Your comment was exactly what the doctor ordered. It appears that the XAML content property has no relation to what is added to the tree other than by convention.  That is, it is simply wise to specify via ContentPropertyAttribute  whatever property the control adds to the tree so that that property can be easily accessed in XAML.  All the action to do the adding to the tree occurs in either the control's "set" method (such as setting the Content in button) or the "Add" method (e.g. adding children to a StackPanel.   An example of how the "set" function is modified to add the control to the tree is shown in the MSDN description for FrameworkElement::AddLogicalChild Method.

Thanks again for your help.   This cleared up a lot of confusion for me.

BTW, I looked up your Silverlight framework.   A very interesting product.
    hello
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:35 AM