none
Problem with Microsoft Document Explorer during VS 2005 install

Question

• Hello,

I installed Visual Studio 2005 on my Vista box. The installation finished, but Visual Studio keeps hanging and giving me the following error message:

"the Application Data folder for Microsoft Document Explorer could not be created"

Searching for solutions on the web led me to Aaron Stebner's page at this link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/01/20/515642.aspx

However, I did not find a specific fix. Aaron Stebner recommended resolving the issue by running dexplore.exe at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8 and devenv.exe at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE. However, this did not fix the problem for me, and I still get the same error message.

Any ideas?

Rex

PS: In case it is useful at all, here is the output from the troubleshooting script that was linked to in one of the announcements:
    THE FOLLOWING SCRIPT will check to make sure that .NET Framework 3.5
    is installed properly and will tell you what is not configured appropriately
    WINDOWS VERSION: 6.0.6000
    POTENTIAL ERROR: REGISTRYDUMP: reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework
    Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727" /v "SP"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
        SP    REG_DWORD    0x0

ERROR: NetFx2.0 SP1 is not installed
    Setup\NDP\v3.0" /v "SP"

ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
    ERROR: Netfx3.0 SP1 is not installed
    Setup\NDP\v3.5" /v "Install"
    ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
    ERROR: Netfx3.5 RTM is not installed
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:22 PM

Answers

• Hi REx

Can you find dexplore.exe typically from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8

And run it:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://ms.vscc.v80

in the command prompt.

What happens?

I also suspect there might be some other applications are interfering.

You can also try to reboot into Safe mode to narrow down the cause.

If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

Thanks

Friday, January 04, 2008 3:51 AM

All replies

• By the way, when I run "dexplore.exe /setup", I get the same error message as above ("the Application Data folder for Microsoft Document Explorer could not be created")
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:27 PM
  • Hi

Just from the error message, please check if there is any anti-virus or something likely to forbid the creation of files, folders in the directory.

Then my question are:

Have you finished installation of VS 2005 successfully?

What is your VS 2005 edition?

Which operation hangs the VS 2005? (hang where? Just hang at the beginning of the running?)

FYI: VS 2005 come with .NET Framework 2.0 while VS 2008 with .NET Framework 3.5

Thanks

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 3:30 AM
  • Hello Figo,

Thanks for your reply. I disabled my antivirus. Which directory should I check to make sure I can create files there? I see there is a directory AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio; I was able to create new files there, if that's what you're referring to. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem

As for your other questions:
    -Installation of VS 2005 said it finished successfully. However: the first time I tried installing it, it told me that due to compatibility issues I had to install two updates: VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU, and VS80sp1-KB932232-X86-ENU. I installed both. After that, things went smoothly, though.
    -I have "Visual Studio .NET 2005 Professional - Full Install"
    -VS 2005 hangs as soon as I open it. I do get the "welcome" window, but after that I can't do anything.

Thanks so much for your help!

Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:28 PM
  • Hi Rex

I really appreciate your information.

So my first suggestion is to verify and repair .NET Framework on your Vista box, see: .NET Framework 3.5 Installation validation tool: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/11/29/net-framework-3-5-installation-validation-tool.aspx  How to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 on Windows Vista: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Then if .NET Framework is not the problem, you may check and repair the "Microsoft Document Explorer 2005" via the entry in Control Panel >> Programs and Fearures.

If the problem persists, you can run devenv /log "C:\vsstartlog.txt" and show up vsstartlog.txt to see what may be the cause.

Thanks

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Thank you, Figo. I tried your suggestions; here is an update.

I ran the .NET Framework 3.5 Installation Validation Tool a few days ago; my results are in the first post. Based on the output, should I do something? Also, if it's for .NET 3.5, would that apply to my version (2.0)? (As you can probably tell this is my first time testing out .NET, so I know very little).

I followed the second link, "How to repair .NET...", and got the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Details are included in the CBS. Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

(That log is extremely long; I can post something from it if it's safe to do so, if you'd like.)

Here is my entry from C:\vsstartlog.txt, as you recommended:

Code Block

<entry>
        <record>105</record>
        <time>2008/01/02 08:15:49.600</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>Microsoft Visual Studio</source>
        <description>External Help (DEXPLORE.EXE) launched</description>
        <hr>80080005</hr>
      </entry>

By the way, I realize I was wrong earlier when I said my program crashes when VS starts. I am actually capable of starting a project and working on it; the problems start when I click in the "Getting Started" frame of the Start Page, which says things like "How do I...", "What's new in Visual Basic 2005?", and so on.

Thanks again. I really hope I can get this working soon! Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide.
    Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:27 AM
  • Hi Rex,

Sorry, you are now with VS2005 so .NET Framework 3.5 is not needed, which means you don't need to use .NET Framework 3.5 Installation validation tool to verify.

So the problem seems to be at the Dexplorer.exe, as I suggested, please check and repair the "Microsoft Document Explorer 2005" via the entry in Control Panel >> Programs and Features. (or uninstall it and reinstall typically from \MSDN\DExplore\DExplore.exe)

Thanks

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 9:04 AM
  • Hi Figo,

I tried both solutions: repairing Document Explorer 2005 in the Control Panel, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling DExplore. Unfortunately, I still get the same error whenever I click those "Getting Started" links on the Start Page. Any suggestions for what I should do at this point? I'm thinking of trying a clean reinstall of VS 2005, but want to make sure the problem doesn't repeat itself. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this problem is those two service pack/update packages Microsoft asked me to download when I tried installing Visual Studio (I listed their names above). Apart from that, I have no idea what is causing this.

Thanks,

Rex
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 8:02 PM
  • Hi REx

Can you find dexplore.exe typically from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8

And run it:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8\dexplore.exe" /helpcol ms-help://ms.vscc.v80

in the command prompt.

What happens?

I also suspect there might be some other applications are interfering.

You can also try to reboot into Safe mode to narrow down the cause.

If we create a new user account, do we have the problem? This can help to isolate user profile corruption related causes.

Thanks

Friday, January 04, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Hi Figo,

I tried another user account, and it works! I clicked on those links on the start page, and Document Explorer opened up successfully.

However, back in my usual user account, I ran the command

But this just gave me the same error message: "The Application Data Folder ..."

Rebooting into Safe Mode with my normal user account did not fix the problem.

Now I'm wondering if the permissions are set wrong somewhere in my AppData folder, but I haven't had problems iwth other programs, and I tried creating folders in a few places within AppData, and there are no problems doing that.

Thanks so much for your help Figo! I truly appreciate your helping me troubleshoot this step by step.

Rex

Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hi Figo (or anyone else),

Any recommendations on how I should fix this problem now? I'd like to work with Visual Studio, but it keeps crashing on me.

Thanks,

Rex
    Friday, January 25, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Hi Rex

If this is your local account, I would suggest to create a new local account of the same permission instead of the corrupted one.

Thanks.

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:47 AM