none
Testing Center: Basic workflow on how to Play and Edit tests RRS feed

• Question

1. I recorded several tests however when I click Run it erases previously recorded steps. How do I go about playing the tests?
    2. If I want to revise a particular step in the test, how can this be accomplished within this tool?

This was my workflow so I know there is something that is offset:

• Testing Center: Select a Plan
    • Plan>Contents: Added requirements (an actual user story)
    • Test>Run Tests: Select the test case and click Run>Start Test
    • Record steps against an IE browser and click End>Save and Close
    • At this point how do I play what was recorded? Furthermore how do you edit?
    • Moved by Shane_Hu Friday, March 4, 2011 4:35 AM This thread is related to this forum. (From:Visual Studio Team System - Testing)
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

You can refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286647.aspx to overwrite your recording.

If the test contains an existing action recording, you are prompted with the option Overwrite existing action recording. Select this option to create a new recording that replaces the previous action recording, and then click Start Test.

To playback your recording, please refer http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd380686.aspx

Thanks,

Anuj

Thursday, March 3, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Apparently I was not specifying a step so I added it in the test case. I am now seeing "You have not marked this step whil recording..." warning message. How do you go about marking it so that I can use playback?
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:49 PM
  • Friday, March 4, 2011 2:28 AM
  • Thanks for the link Anuj. No actions are listed when I expand Action recording available section based on this section from the link (quoted below).

"(Optional) Recorded actions can be deleted at any step while the test is running. To delete a recorded action, follow these steps:

1. Click the up-arrow displayed in the bottom panel of Test Runner.

2. All the actions which took place up to this step are displayed.

3. Select the action you want to delete and then right-click the selection and point to Delete recorded action"

I like the Preview feature and currently stuck on editing/deleting detailed actions.

Steps Detailed actions
    Start testing
    Sign in
    Parent window changed to 'CometEz - Login - Windows Internet Explorer'
    Type 'test@test.com' in 'Email:' text box
    Type '{Tab}' in 'Email:' text box
    Type '********' in 'Password:' text box
    Click 'Sign In' pane
    Type '********' in 'Password:' text box
    Mouse hover 'Unknown Name' cell at (72, 2)
    Click 'Sign In' pane
    Mouse hover 'Status' pane at (44, 18)
    Click 'Collapse Map' image
    Mouse hover 'Status' pane at (10, 22)
    Click 'Collapse Map' image
    Step Completed : Restore
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:54 PM