none
Lost my Toolbox data in VS 2015 Update 3 RRS feed

• Question

• This has happened several times. I'm getting frustrated. I store a lot of code in the toolbox in editor mode. Now it is telling me there are nothing usable. That window was about half full with lots of stuff. Where did it go? What did I do to cause this?

Does anyone know the file name involved with this feature? Where is it located? I build it all over again, but I must have a way to restore it. Any ideas ?

Larry

Sunday, August 21, 2016 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

>> I store a lot of code in the toolbox in editor mode.

What do you mean the Toolbox in editor mode? Is this mean you are create some custom controls and they are added into the Toolbox? Please share some screenshot to help us understanding your issue.

If I'm not misunderstanding, when we clean our solution, the custom controls will disappear from the Toolbox until we rebuild our application again. It is the default action in Visual Studio.

If misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, please check whether your Visual Studio installed any third part packages which may affect the action in Toolbox. Please run your Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Weiwei,

I hope I do this correctly...

While in edit mode (IDE) your toolbox becomes a depository for code snip-its. This is great as I can rely less on my 73 year-old-memory. The one restored snip-it is for displaying a spreadsheet in normal mode and hiding and un-hiding the associated buttons.

Boy, that was tough, finding the end of the screen-shot to put my cursor so I can continue typing. :-)

Now, I had about a half a page of snip-its and they're all gone. What you see is one I typed in to show you what was there. Hope this helps.

Larry

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:02 AM
  • OK, I have a laptop too and it has the toolbox items in edit mode of the IDE. How do I copy them to the desktop? Maybe an export command? I don't mean the tools, but the snip-its.

Larry

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:07 PM
  • This part of the URL you sent me to;

Now, you might be saying, “Great, but what if I want to save a piece of code that I use frequently in multiple places?  I don’t want to have to cycle through the clipboard ring every time.”  Well, there’s also a feature for that!  If you highlight a section of code (or text) and drag it to the Toolbox, VS will create a “snippet” (not to be confused with code snippets) that can be dragged into the VS editor.

That's the part I was talking about. I have no idea why, but it all disappeared. So what I ended up doing is going to my laptop (which still had the snippets) and copied each one to a text file. Then went back to the desktop with that text file and pasted each one back to the toolbox. It is now restored and I'm back to where I am suppose to be.

So that part of my problem is solved.

Larry

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Hi Larry,

In my side, I found as long as I add the code snippet in Toolbox, no matter I create a new project or restart my Visual Studio, the code snippet always in Toolbox.

But after I reset all settings for my Visual Studio or reset my Toolbox, these code snippet is disappear from Toolbox.

So please check whether you have reset you Visual Studio or install some extensions for your Visual Studio which result to the Visual Studio/Toolbox be reset before the code snippet disappear from Toolbox.

In addition, since you have pasted each one back to the toolbox, which has resolved your issue. I suggest you mark your reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Larry,

>> I store a lot of code in the toolbox in editor mode.

What do you mean the Toolbox in editor mode? Is this mean you are create some custom controls and they are added into the Toolbox? Please share some screenshot to help us understanding your issue.

If I'm not misunderstanding, when we clean our solution, the custom controls will disappear from the Toolbox until we rebuild our application again. It is the default action in Visual Studio.

If misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

In addition, please check whether your Visual Studio installed any third part packages which may affect the action in Toolbox. Please run your Visual Studio in safe mode to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:42 AM
  • Weiwei,

I hope I do this correctly...

While in edit mode (IDE) your toolbox becomes a depository for code snip-its. This is great as I can rely less on my 73 year-old-memory. The one restored snip-it is for displaying a spreadsheet in normal mode and hiding and un-hiding the associated buttons.

Boy, that was tough, finding the end of the screen-shot to put my cursor so I can continue typing. :-)

Now, I had about a half a page of snip-its and they're all gone. What you see is one I typed in to show you what was there. Hope this helps.

Larry

Monday, August 22, 2016 7:02 AM
  • OK, I have a laptop too and it has the toolbox items in edit mode of the IDE. How do I copy them to the desktop? Maybe an export command? I don't mean the tools, but the snip-its.

Larry

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:07 PM
  • Hi Larry,

According to your screenshot and description, you write some code snippet in the Toolbox's Text control and then want to export this code to desktop, is it right?

As far as I know, we could save some code snippet in Toolbox through drag this code from code Editor to Toolbox. Then we can use these code snippet in all projects in the applicable language. For example, if you create a code snippet in a VB project, it will be available for any VB projects that you create. However, it will not be available in a C# project.

But I don't find any options and command in Toolbox could export the code snippet to desktop. So we just could use it by drag this code snippet to code editor to generate the same code in editor. The detailed introduce for this feature, please refer to:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2010/03/10/tips-and-tricks-clipboard-ring-and-toolbox-snippets/

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:17 AM
  • This part of the URL you sent me to;

Now, you might be saying, “Great, but what if I want to save a piece of code that I use frequently in multiple places?  I don’t want to have to cycle through the clipboard ring every time.”  Well, there’s also a feature for that!  If you highlight a section of code (or text) and drag it to the Toolbox, VS will create a “snippet” (not to be confused with code snippets) that can be dragged into the VS editor.

That's the part I was talking about. I have no idea why, but it all disappeared. So what I ended up doing is going to my laptop (which still had the snippets) and copied each one to a text file. Then went back to the desktop with that text file and pasted each one back to the toolbox. It is now restored and I'm back to where I am suppose to be.

So that part of my problem is solved.

Larry

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 1:28 PM
  • Hi Larry,

In my side, I found as long as I add the code snippet in Toolbox, no matter I create a new project or restart my Visual Studio, the code snippet always in Toolbox.

But after I reset all settings for my Visual Studio or reset my Toolbox, these code snippet is disappear from Toolbox.

So please check whether you have reset you Visual Studio or install some extensions for your Visual Studio which result to the Visual Studio/Toolbox be reset before the code snippet disappear from Toolbox.

In addition, since you have pasted each one back to the toolbox, which has resolved your issue. I suggest you mark your reply as answer which is benefit to other communities who has the same issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:16 AM