none
ribbon xml vs ribbon designer RRS feed

• Question

• i can any one let me the difference between Ribbon xml & ribbon control?

is there any performance issues between them? what would be the decision criteria to choose one of them?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Aditya

The Ribbon Designer does not incorporate all facets provided by the OfficeFluentUI model. It covers only a subset. For example, the Ribbon Designer provides no way to re-purpose built-in commands or work with the new BackStage in Office 2010. These things can only be done using Ribbon XML.

The Ribbon Designer makes desiging a basic Ribbon much easier - no need to type out all the necessary XML. The tool takes care of that for you "behind the scenes". Also, working with the Ribbon controls is much more intuitive for a .NET Developer. Rather than having to use the concept of callbacks, methods, events and properties can be used with Ribbon control objects, much the way you work with WinForms controls.

So the decision whether to use the one or the other depends on which parts of the Ribbon functionality (Office Fluent UI) your project requires. If all you need is a Ribbon with standard buttons, the Ribbon Designer is fine. If you want to re-purpose built-in commands or define context menues or Backstage in Office 2010, you need Ribbon XML.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:24 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Hi Adi

How much code have you already written for the Ribbon Designer?

Your one solution may have only the one Ribbon (either Designer or XML). If you want two, you need to either distribute a Word template that contains the Ribbon XML or a second add-in.

If you don't have a lot of code, then I'd say export the Ribbon Designer to Ribbon XML, create the necessary callback and copy what you can of your code to the callbacks...

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Aditya

The Ribbon Designer does not incorporate all facets provided by the OfficeFluentUI model. It covers only a subset. For example, the Ribbon Designer provides no way to re-purpose built-in commands or work with the new BackStage in Office 2010. These things can only be done using Ribbon XML.

The Ribbon Designer makes desiging a basic Ribbon much easier - no need to type out all the necessary XML. The tool takes care of that for you "behind the scenes". Also, working with the Ribbon controls is much more intuitive for a .NET Developer. Rather than having to use the concept of callbacks, methods, events and properties can be used with Ribbon control objects, much the way you work with WinForms controls.

So the decision whether to use the one or the other depends on which parts of the Ribbon functionality (Office Fluent UI) your project requires. If all you need is a Ribbon with standard buttons, the Ribbon Designer is fine. If you want to re-purpose built-in commands or define context menues or Backstage in Office 2010, you need Ribbon XML.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 10:49 AM
  • hi Cindy,

i have already created a Ribbon using designer, now i want repurpose built-in commands. Shall i just create a ribbon xml separately for re-purposing the built-in commands to the existing code? or go ahead by replacing the ribbon designer with ribbon xml and support the re-purposing?

Also are there any performance related issues between them?

Best Regards,

Adi

• Proposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:22 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bessie Zhao Thursday, September 16, 2010 9:24 AM
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 11:10 AM
  • Hi Adi

How much code have you already written for the Ribbon Designer?

Your one solution may have only the one Ribbon (either Designer or XML). If you want two, you need to either distribute a Word template that contains the Ribbon XML or a second add-in.

If you don't have a lot of code, then I'd say export the Ribbon Designer to Ribbon XML, create the necessary callback and copy what you can of your code to the callbacks...

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:46 PM