none
How to make a vsix manifest future proof to future versions of Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• I have Visual Studio 2010 extension that I create and put up on the Visual Studio gallery. When VS 2012 was released I went through a bunch of hopes to redownload all of the right SDK's, just to repackage the vsix with a manifest that included

<VisualStudio Version="12.0">
      <Edition>Ultimate</Edition>
      <Edition>Premium</Edition>
      <Edition>Pro</Edition>
    </VisualStudio>

Now that VS 2013 is out, do I have to do the same, or is there something that I can do in the manifest to declare that it will run on all future VS's too, or do I need to do this anytime a new version of VS comes out? The binaries will be the same.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:17 PM

Answers

• Hi jader3rd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum!

I'm afraid that you need to do so. As we all know, there must be some differences between the new and the old compiler. Also we can not tell what will keep permanent in future visual studio tool.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Friday, December 27, 2013 12:48 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:45 AM
  • It seems you are using the first manifest xml format (1.0) for vsix which comes from VS2010.

If you keep using 1.0 format, than Yes, you have to modify it always.

I suggest you upgrade to 2.0 format, which comes from VS2012, and also used in VS2013. You can just create package project from VS2013 to check the difference between formats.

In 2.0 format, the version is defined as

<Installation InstalledByMsi="false">
        <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" Version="[12.0)" />
      </Installation>

Here the format [12.0) means VS2013 and later version.

You can use "[]" or "()" to control version range of the VS.

Regards,

Yi

MSC on Computer Science (Parallel algorithm)

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Friday, January 3, 2014 9:41 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi jader3rd,

Welcome to the MSDN forum!

I'm afraid that you need to do so. As we all know, there must be some differences between the new and the old compiler. Also we can not tell what will keep permanent in future visual studio tool.

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Friday, December 27, 2013 12:48 PM
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:45 AM
  • It seems you are using the first manifest xml format (1.0) for vsix which comes from VS2010.

If you keep using 1.0 format, than Yes, you have to modify it always.

I suggest you upgrade to 2.0 format, which comes from VS2012, and also used in VS2013. You can just create package project from VS2013 to check the difference between formats.

In 2.0 format, the version is defined as

<Installation InstalledByMsi="false">
        <InstallationTarget Id="Microsoft.VisualStudio.Pro" Version="[12.0)" />
      </Installation>

Here the format [12.0) means VS2013 and later version.

You can use "[]" or "()" to control version range of the VS.

Regards,

Yi

• Marked as answer by Anna Cc Friday, January 3, 2014 9:41 AM
    Friday, December 27, 2013 5:55 AM
  • Can Visual Studio 2010 understand the VSIX 2.0 manifest? Or do I have to have one version of my app for VS2010 and another for VS2012+ ?
    Monday, December 30, 2013 5:26 AM
  • If you need to support all VS including VS2010, you have to use 1.0 way.

Monday, December 30, 2013 5:32 AM
  • So is there a way to have one entry in VS galleries, but have it pick the right one based off of the VS version?
    Monday, December 30, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Hi jader3rd,

I'm not so clear about your meaning. Do you mean you want your VS pick the right extension from VS gallery? As far as I know, when you open your Visual Studio, click "Tools" then click "Extensions and updates.." and choose "online", you will see the extensions that suit for your current VS version from visual studio gallery. You will note the extensions that work for visual studio 2012 will not appear in the list of the online extensions if the compiler you open is VS2013.  

If I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sunny

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:24 AM
  • I'm wondering how I should manage the VS gallery? Can there be two different extensions, but with the same name? Given that the code itself is the same for VS 2010 as well as 2012, it would seem odd to have to give them different names, just because the VSIX manifest is different.
    Saturday, January 4, 2014 4:55 PM