none
VS 2010 Compatability with Windows 2000

Question

• I've just moved my application projects from VS 2005 to VS 2010.  However, I've also discovered that VS 2010 redistributables are not compatible with Windows 2000.

Is there any way get around this?

If not, is there an easy way to back-track my project files from VS 2010 to VS 2008, which is compatible with Windows 2000?

Thanks,

Rich

C++ developer
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• No, until Legacy Extender gets support for VC++ 2010, anything you want to be able to run on Win2k will need to be built with VC++ 2008 or earlier. However, I think you'll have to download a separate (older) Windows SDK than the one that comes with VC++ 2008; according to this Windows SDK chart, the last Windows SDK to support Win2k was the Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK (VC++ 2008 comes with a much more recent one).
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:21 PM
  • Hi RichLamb,

ildjarn provides a correct clue. Could you please let me know if it helps?

On the other hand, as far as I know, there is no way to convert the converted project from VS2010 to VS2008. But it will often backup the old project when we convert the project. You can find the old project in the Backup directory.

Regards,
    Aland Li

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:47 AM

All replies

• No, until Legacy Extender gets support for VC++ 2010, anything you want to be able to run on Win2k will need to be built with VC++ 2008 or earlier. However, I think you'll have to download a separate (older) Windows SDK than the one that comes with VC++ 2008; according to this Windows SDK chart, the last Windows SDK to support Win2k was the Windows Server 2003 R2 Platform SDK (VC++ 2008 comes with a much more recent one).
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:21 PM
  • I am running the SDK on Windows 7, but some of my customers are still running Windows 2000 (bummer).  So, I think I'm ok with the SDK.  Just the runtime DLLs as distributed in vc2010redist_x86.exe seem to be the problem.  It does not support Windows 2000.

Thanks,

Rich

C++ developer
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I'm referring to the "create apps targeting" rows rather than the "installs on" rows.
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:38 PM
  • Hi RichLamb,

ildjarn provides a correct clue. Could you please let me know if it helps?

On the other hand, as far as I know, there is no way to convert the converted project from VS2010 to VS2008. But it will often backup the old project when we convert the project. You can find the old project in the Backup directory.

Regards,
    Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:47 AM
  • Hi RichLamb,

Please feel free to let me know if the marked answer does not meet your needs and unmark it. You could then post the reasons here and I will continue concentrating on this issue.

Regards,
    Aland Li

Friday, August 27, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Hi everyone, I created a new solution for getting Visual C++ 2010 MFC apps to run on Windows 2000 - this should solve your problem.  Thanks to the guys at stackoverflow that figured this out (the MASM assembly for EncodePointer/DecodePointer was the last piece of the puzzle that allowed me to flesh out my MFC solution).

The link is here:

http://tedwvc.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/how-to-get-visual-c-2010-mfc-applications-to-run-on-windows-2000/

Sunday, November 07, 2010 11:47 PM