none
Xaml Editor, Class Explorer Crashes after Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Question

• Please Read the following post. I started this post because my problem is not solved and it seems my problems with VS 2008 SP1 are just getting worse.

Along with opening XAML files now my Class Explorer crashed Visual Studio 2008 SP1 with no warning or exceptions.

Below is where I began.
    Xaml Editor Crashes after Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Currently I am reinstalling VS 2008 and then SP1

I am running VS 2008 Developer Edition with Team Exploerer and VS 2008 Power Commands.

Friday, August 15, 2008 2:00 AM

Answers

• Through Microsoft's help they came up with a work around which is a simple modification to the devenv.exe.config file.

This will exist in (64 bit systems) C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE

Or (32 bit systems) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE

Add this XML token to the dependentAseembly list. They had me add it after the office one, but im not sure if that matters.

<dependentAssembly>
                    <assemblyIdentity name="office" publicKeyToken="71e9bce111e9429c" culture="neutral"/>
                    <codeBase version="12.0.0.0" href="PrivateAssemblies\Office12\Office.dll"/>
                </dependentAssembly>

<!-NEW STUFF-->
                <dependentAssembly>
                    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.PowerCommands" publicKeyToken="null" culture="neutral"/>
                    <codeBase version="1.1.0.0" href="C:\Program Files (x86)\PowerCommands\Microsoft.PowerCommands.dll"/>
                </dependentAssembly>

Now you should be able to run PowerCommands with VS 2008 SP1 and XAML with no crashes. I guess there will be a fix when the next PowerCommands version comes out or on .net 4.0 .

Thanks MSFT!
    • Marked as answer by Nick McCready Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:24 PM
    • Edited by Nick McCready Monday, September 08, 2008 2:13 PM spelling
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:23 PM
  • As it turns out through Microsoft support it is Power Commands 2008 that causes the problem for me. As soon as it was uninstalled the errors when away. They are looking into now and searching for hot fixes or workarounds. So Power Commands 2008 has compatibility problems with VS 2008 SP1 . Hope this helps some one!

• Edited by Nick McCready Friday, August 15, 2008 6:47 PM fix spelling
    • Marked as answer by Nick McCready Friday, August 15, 2008 6:47 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:47 PM

All replies

• As it turns out through Microsoft support it is Power Commands 2008 that causes the problem for me. As soon as it was uninstalled the errors when away. They are looking into now and searching for hot fixes or workarounds. So Power Commands 2008 has compatibility problems with VS 2008 SP1 . Hope this helps some one!

• Edited by Nick McCready Friday, August 15, 2008 6:47 PM fix spelling
    • Marked as answer by Nick McCready Friday, August 15, 2008 6:47 PM
    Friday, August 15, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Through Microsoft's help they came up with a work around which is a simple modification to the devenv.exe.config file.

This will exist in (64 bit systems) C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE

Or (32 bit systems) C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE

Add this XML token to the dependentAseembly list. They had me add it after the office one, but im not sure if that matters.

<dependentAssembly>
                    <assemblyIdentity name="office" publicKeyToken="71e9bce111e9429c" culture="neutral"/>
                    <codeBase version="12.0.0.0" href="PrivateAssemblies\Office12\Office.dll"/>
                </dependentAssembly>

<!-NEW STUFF-->
                <dependentAssembly>
                    <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.PowerCommands" publicKeyToken="null" culture="neutral"/>
                    <codeBase version="1.1.0.0" href="C:\Program Files (x86)\PowerCommands\Microsoft.PowerCommands.dll"/>
                </dependentAssembly>

Now you should be able to run PowerCommands with VS 2008 SP1 and XAML with no crashes. I guess there will be a fix when the next PowerCommands version comes out or on .net 4.0 .

Thanks MSFT!
    • Marked as answer by Nick McCready Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:24 PM
    • Edited by Nick McCready Monday, September 08, 2008 2:13 PM spelling
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Thank you for taking the tmie to post this. Your solution worked perfectly.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 4:23 PM
  • No problem, your welcome! :)
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:17 PM
  • I've been looking for a fix, let alone an acknowledgment of this problem for quite a bit, thank you very much.
    Monday, September 15, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Hey just give me a bump with the "Post was helpful" : D 
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:41 PM
  • Perfect!!  I too had a hard time finding an answer to this.
    thanks again.
    Monday, September 22, 2008 9:44 PM
  • Invaluable assistance this post provided!! 
    Shawn Cicoria
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:56 PM
  • The problem is, Vista won't allow me to save that file. What OS are you running?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 10:45 PM
  • To save the file you need to run Notepad elevated (Run as Administrator)  then you will be able to save no problem. This is the way it is with any file below C:/ProgramFiles/ or even C:/Windows. This is to protect people from making changes if they dont know what they are doing. It also protects against rogue programs because unless they are elevated they cannot delete everything under the sun. UAC is really a good thing. You can lower the prompting though the Security Policys.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:08 PM
  • Please Read the following post. I started this post because my problem is not solved and it seems my problems with VS 2008 SP1 are just getting worse.

Along with opening XAML files now my Class Explorer crashed Visual Studio 2008 SP1 with no warning or exceptions.

Below is where I began.
    Xaml Editor Crashes after Visual Studio 2008 SP1

Currently I am reinstalling VS 2008 and then SP1

I am running VS 2008 Developer Edition with Team Exploerer and VS 2008 Power Commands.

Hi When ever i select Choose ToolBox Items to add Ria Controls VS getting crashed. I searched in google and got a solution to uninstall Power Commands. but unable to Uninstall it. able to go upto C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE but not able to find dependentAseembly list. Any Help is Appreciated link for solution : http://www.nablasoft.com/guardian/index.php/2009/03/17/vs2008-sp1-powercommands-toolbox-additemscrash/ Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 09, 2009 10:42 PM
  • I am able to go up to IDE but not able to find  ""dependentAseembly list "" . Even try to search in the system but no luck.
    Any help is appretiated.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Monday, November 09, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Many thanks!! I have been annoyed for long. It solved my problem.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

When I see your post, I'm saying "I find my angel" but when I do the modification in the devenv.exe.config, I have an error when I'm lauching VS 2008 saying that the configuration will be corrupted and it can be solved by reinstalling the product. So I have miss a step or there are new stuffs today ?

Thanks for your help.

Yoann

Monday, February 20, 2012 8:43 AM
  • Great Answer, Thanks!

No big deal but the"NEW STUFF" Comment needs two dashes.  i.e. <!--NEW STUFF--> instead of <!-NEW STUFF-->

As Patton Says "Many Tanks!"

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 9:16 PM