none
Have some more questions about creating a template project RRS feed

• Question

• Last month I asked Is there a better way of creating new projects? That question has been answered and I've been going through the links in the answer, learning how to develop template projects. The second link in the answer was to a tutorial How to: Use Wizards with Project Templates. That tutorial had one create a WinForms UserInputForm, for gathering the name of the new project. I'm wondering if that's the way it has to be? What I mean is that the project templates I intend to write will just take the name of the new project, like when one creates a new WinForms or WPF project in Visual Studio. I thought that there'd be some sort of standard form for getting that information from the user. But, am I wrong about that? Do I have to go through the process of defining my own "UserInputForm" for any template I want to make?

Rod

• Moved by Limitxiao Gao Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:24 AM Related to General question
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>All I really need is a means of getting the new project name entered.

When you create a custom template, you need to new the project and enter the name, the name can be used for your custom template. Please just have a look at Getting Started with the VSIX Project Template, On the Project menu, click Export Template. Complete the steps of the wizard.

After this, you could search your custom template in new project and you can enter name for it. If I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:34 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Rod at Work,

This forum is discussing Team Foundation Server. Your issue is related to Visual Studio General Question. I will move this thread to corresponding forum.

Best Regards

Limitxiao Gao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hi Rod,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

UserInputForm is to create a custom wizard that opens a Windows Form before the project is created. For example, when you create a asp.net web application, you will get the wizard:

When you create a winform or WPF project, there is no wizard. If you don’t need the wizard, "UserInputForm" is not needed and "UserInputForm" is just an example in the tutorial How to: Use Wizards with Project Templates.

You could also have a look at Getting Started with the VSIX Project Template, it shows deploying a Custom Project Template without Wizards.

Best regards,

Joyce

Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Thank you, Limitxiao, for moving my question to a more appropriate forum.

Rod

Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:00 PM
  • Hi Joyce,

In this case I am trying to develop a Visual Studio template for creating WPF apps. I don't need the UserInputForm such as is used for creating ASP.NET projects, determining if its to use MVC, WebForms, etc. All I really need is a means of getting the new project name entered. If that is accomplished without a wizard popping up, such as the UserInputForm does in the tutorial I've gone through, then great!

So the question is, does the VS Template creation for WPF apps ask for the new project's name? And then I can use that?

Rod

Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

>>All I really need is a means of getting the new project name entered.

When you create a custom template, you need to new the project and enter the name, the name can be used for your custom template. Please just have a look at Getting Started with the VSIX Project Template, On the Project menu, click Export Template. Complete the steps of the wizard.

After this, you could search your custom template in new project and you can enter name for it. If I misunderstand you, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Joyce

• Marked as answer by Rod at Work Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:34 PM
    Friday, July 14, 2017 8:58 AM