none
Types duplicated by svcutil when a typed dataset is used

Question

•  

I have a very bizarre problem whereby a service client that has been working just fine up until today now won't compile because of a single new operation that was added. That operation happens to return a typed dataset, and causes svcutil to generate a proxy class that includes two definitions of the same type, from a different service. To wit:

Code Snippet

[ServiceContract(Name = "Service1")]

public interface IService1 {

[OperationContract]

InstanceTag[] GetInstances();

}

[ServiceContract(Name = "Service2")]

public interface IService2 {

[OperationContract]

MyDataSet GetData();

}

cause svcutil to generate both:

Code Snippet

[System.CodeDom.Compiler.GeneratedCodeAttribute("svcutil", "3.0.4506.30")]

[System.SerializableAttribute()]

[System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThroughAttribute()]

[System.ComponentModel.DesignerCategoryAttribute("code")]

[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="blah" +

"")]

public partial class InstanceTag : object, System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged

{

}

and

Code Snippet

[System.CodeDom.Compiler.GeneratedCodeAttribute("System.Runtime.Serialization", "3.0.0.0")]

[System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractAttribute(Namespace="blah" +

"")]

public partial class InstanceTag : object, System.Runtime.Serialization.IExtensibleDataObject, System.ComponentModel.INotifyPropertyChanged

{

}

This clearly won't even compile.

If I exclude the new DataSet-returning operation from Service2, svcutil generates a proxy that only contains the second definition of InstanceTag, and the service client compiles and runs just fine.

Is there something I can do to prevent this duplicate definition?

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:46 PM

Answers

• I seem to remember an issue here in WCF's XmlSerializer fallback logic.

It goes something like this:

- The default DataContractSerializer does not support importing typed dataset classes. They must be shared between client and server and referenced using the /r switch on svcutil.exe - see the end of http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa347876.aspx for more details. This is actually by design. So, one way you could solve it (if sharing the type is an option) is to use the /r switch to point to the assembly containing the typed dataset.

- If you don't use /r, the DataContractSerializer schema importer fails to import the typed dataset, and falls back to the XmlSerializer. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there is a bug here - Service2 falls back to XmlSerializer, Service1 uses DataContractSerializer, and type duplication results. One way you can work around this is to force XmlSerializer fallback for the entire service - use the /serializer:XmlSerializer switch on svcutil.exe

As usual, if the workarounds suggested here don't work and the issue is blocking for you / causing significant business impact, please contact Microsoft Product Support to discuss your options.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:11 PM

All replies

•  

I should add that my typed dataset does NOT contain any columns of type InstanceTag.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:49 PM
  • I seem to remember an issue here in WCF's XmlSerializer fallback logic.

It goes something like this:

- The default DataContractSerializer does not support importing typed dataset classes. They must be shared between client and server and referenced using the /r switch on svcutil.exe - see the end of http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa347876.aspx for more details. This is actually by design. So, one way you could solve it (if sharing the type is an option) is to use the /r switch to point to the assembly containing the typed dataset.

- If you don't use /r, the DataContractSerializer schema importer fails to import the typed dataset, and falls back to the XmlSerializer. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell there is a bug here - Service2 falls back to XmlSerializer, Service1 uses DataContractSerializer, and type duplication results. One way you can work around this is to force XmlSerializer fallback for the entire service - use the /serializer:XmlSerializer switch on svcutil.exe

As usual, if the workarounds suggested here don't work and the issue is blocking for you / causing significant business impact, please contact Microsoft Product Support to discuss your options.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:11 PM
  • OK thanks, that makes sense. I'm fairly sure that sharing the dataset with the client will be the best way to solve this, since it's auto-generated and (necessarily) has no lower-level server-side dependencies -- I'll give that a go.

What would be the implications of forcing XmlSerializer, given that my channel is NetTcp? I assume performance would be impacted?

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:44 AM
  • Why not just send it as an untyped dataset ( you can cast it) ?  Than in the proxy layer of the client convert to your typed dataset - would seem a lot quicker to implement features and a lot less trouble. 

Regards,

Ben

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Ben,

My typed dataset contains (non-primitive) types of my own definition, that are shared between the client and the server. Would the dataset still be serialized/deserialized correctly if I cast away my specific typed dataset?

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:26 AM