WPF MediaElement - No Sound at Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using the MediaElement in WPF. The Application works at Windows Vista and Server 2003, but not at Windows XP machines.

I use the MediaElement to play mp3 music files - any ideas why I have no sound at XP machines?

cheers,

Georg

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 4:06 PM

Answers

• Yes, you need to install Windows Media Player 10 or above for WPF media to work. If you have not, please install it and let me know if you still run into this issue, and if you get any errors in MediaFailed event.

Thanks.

Friday, October 5, 2007 12:51 AM

All replies

• Can you hook up MediaElement.MediaFailed event to see if any error was thrown? Also, can you hear song from other applications? (ie: Windows Media Player)

WPF has two volume related APIs, MediaElement.Volume and MediaElement.IsMuted, please make sure both are set correctly and HasAudio property is true.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 6:11 PM
  •  

Another idea... what's the sound hardware /driver differences between the machines?  Since WPF uses the Media Player libraries to play mp3s, you may be hitting a DRM issue... sometimes music ripped with a particular set of options (I've hit this with my personal CDs ripped via AudioGrabber) will play back silently through Media Player due to this problem.

This is easy to test, since playing the same file in Media Player should repro the issue.  If not, good luck!

-Matt

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 6:39 PM
  • Hello,

The MediaElement is not muted and the volume is set to 100 in the constuctor. Today I heared, that the application plays music at some XP machines and doesn't work at one Win2003 machine. So I don't think XP ist the problem.

All music files are working and you can play them with every music player on every machine. There are no sound problems - I have tried the same files with different players. 

I don't have, and especially buy any DRM contaminated music and movies. This prevents from a lot of problems.. :-)

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2007/09/24/blue-screen-of-drm-death-or-the-death-of-windows-media-center.aspx

Do I need a installed Windows Media Player at the machines that the WPF Media Elements plays the files?

Now I response to the MediaFailed event, hopefully I get some informations out oft it...

thanks,

Georg

Wednesday, October 3, 2007 9:19 PM
  • Yes, you need to install Windows Media Player 10 or above for WPF media to work. If you have not, please install it and let me know if you still run into this issue, and if you get any errors in MediaFailed event.

Thanks.

Friday, October 5, 2007 12:51 AM
  • Yes, with a new Media Player installed it works fine.

Thanks for help,

Georg

Friday, October 5, 2007 9:19 AM