none
urgent help requires for converter in c# RRS feed

• Question

• hello everyone... i require help...   i have been given this project but dont know from where to start from.....

Question :-
    A document library exists on a sharepoint site. Users will upload pdf and word files into the document library. Create a reusable component in c# (using API for sharepoint) which will read the files as and where they are uploaded, convert them into html and save the html version into a different document library.
    The HTML version should get updated when the corresponding PDF or .DOC document is modified.

Software :- Mcft office sharepoint server 2007
                       SQL server2005

1> Can you plzz explain this in detail

2> what will you rate the difficulty?

3> from where shld i start

4> is there any API for sharepoint

5> document library can be judge as 2 seperate folder

6>updating the HTML version means we will search the document lib for that particular HTML name (same as PDF)...  but what if the PDF name has been changed and then uploaded

i know one thing that i can do this web application using streams....  but then too require your help as you can see how much i am confused....
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 2:04 PM

Answers

• First you need a machine with Windows 2003 R2 installed. On that machine install SQL Server 2005 if you don't want to use separate machine. Then install Sharepoint 2007 and configure it to store databases on this SQL Server. If you don't change it, it will install sql express and store mdf files in program files. Install also Sharepoint services SDK 3.0. After that you will have a collection of assemblies of which i think Microsoft.Sharpoint.dll is most important but there are others. You can use one of their classes to read document libraries, and for selected library to read it's content. I have not used this assemblies, but i used SharePoint webservices to read this information. I think you don't need to use webservices, and use sharpoint libraries to do every operation you need. Your project should be divided in several parts. First, will be some custom webservice where you will have some methods for uploading documents in document libraries, and for that there is many examples with exactly that solution on MSDN and on some blogs.
    You will need also a windows service, that will check from time to time if there are changed documents, for which you will use Modified Date property on document to check if there is a change, and if there is a change you will generate html an store it in defined document library. You will overwrite existing html file if exists. You can create some synchronization method that will check all documents and all generated html, and if there is a new document you will create html file, if there is html file but no document (document name is changed, or it's deleted) you will delete html file, and if modified property is changed you will convert the document again. For converting documents from pdf and doc to html, you will need some convertor. I don't know which are on the market, but i know that they exists, at least i know that Adobe have a pdf to html convertor. You will convert documents to html file programmaticaly.

There are books on using sharepoint and also developing on it using SP libraries or webservices.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:43 PM

All replies

• no one to reply on this topic
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:22 PM
  • First you need a machine with Windows 2003 R2 installed. On that machine install SQL Server 2005 if you don't want to use separate machine. Then install Sharepoint 2007 and configure it to store databases on this SQL Server. If you don't change it, it will install sql express and store mdf files in program files. Install also Sharepoint services SDK 3.0. After that you will have a collection of assemblies of which i think Microsoft.Sharpoint.dll is most important but there are others. You can use one of their classes to read document libraries, and for selected library to read it's content. I have not used this assemblies, but i used SharePoint webservices to read this information. I think you don't need to use webservices, and use sharpoint libraries to do every operation you need. Your project should be divided in several parts. First, will be some custom webservice where you will have some methods for uploading documents in document libraries, and for that there is many examples with exactly that solution on MSDN and on some blogs.
    You will need also a windows service, that will check from time to time if there are changed documents, for which you will use Modified Date property on document to check if there is a change, and if there is a change you will generate html an store it in defined document library. You will overwrite existing html file if exists. You can create some synchronization method that will check all documents and all generated html, and if there is a new document you will create html file, if there is html file but no document (document name is changed, or it's deleted) you will delete html file, and if modified property is changed you will convert the document again. For converting documents from pdf and doc to html, you will need some convertor. I don't know which are on the market, but i know that they exists, at least i know that Adobe have a pdf to html convertor. You will convert documents to html file programmaticaly.

There are books on using sharepoint and also developing on it using SP libraries or webservices.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 4:43 PM