none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 fails to update devenv.exe.config plus fix RRS feed

• General discussion

• First, I'm Eric Knox, the Visual Studio engineering manager who currently is responsible for VS installation. This post is intended as a proactive question + answer to hopefully help folks who are impacted by VS2015 Update 1 before my team can get a fix deployed.

Problem Description

Since shipping VS 2015 Update 1 very recently, I've heard a number of reports of VS not behaving properly after the update installed. Some symptoms I've heard of are error messages saying one or more of:

• Could not load file or assembly ‘System.Collections.Immutable, Version=1.1.36.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’ or one of its dependencies. The located assembly’s manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
    • Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    • The 'JavaScriptWebExtensionsPackage' package did not load correctly. 
      The problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by  the installation of another extension. You can get more information by examining the file C:\Users\<alias>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisuaIStudio\14.0\ActivityLog.xml'. 
      Restarting Visual Studio could help resolve this issue. 
      Continue to show this error message?

Thanks to some help from some folks in the community (thanks Sergey!), we've tracked it down to the fact that the Update installer doesn't always upgrade VS' devenv.exe.config file.

Am I affected?
    To figure out if your machine is impacted, you can check the install logs to know for sure. To do so, open a command prompt and paste in this:

pushd %temp%
    find /I "Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config" *vsupdate*.log | findstr -i overwrite

If you see "Won't Overwrite;" in the output, then your machine *is* impacted.
    If you see "Overwrite;", then any issues you are experiencing should be unrelated to this thread.

Here's sample output if your machine is affected:
      MSI (s) (CC:60) [08:46:49:362]: File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config;        Won't Overwrite;        Won't patch;    Existing file is unversioned but modified

Output if your machine is *not* affected:
      MSI (s) (7C:34) [20:39:50:792]: File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe.config;        Overwrite;      Won't patch;    Existing file is unversioned and unmodified - hash doesn't match source file

How do I fix this?
    If your machine did not correctly install the VSUpdate 1 config file, you can remedy this by doing the following:
      1. Download the correct VSUpdate 1 config to a folder on your machine from this link: https://download.microsoft.com/download/2/7/6/276D15B2-6851-42AA-8D1F-639CD3FC84BE/devenv-exe-config-update1.xml
      2. Open an admin command prompt and run these steps (assuming you installed to the default location):

cd "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE"
       ren devenv.exe.config devenv.exe.config.backup
       copy <local path to file downloaded in step #1> .\devenv.exe.config
       devenv /UpdateConfiguration

When will this be fixed?
    My engineering team is working on a fix right now with the expectation of publishing a servicing fix by the end of this week at latest. The challenge I have though is that my team's fix will only work for new installs. I don't have a mechanism in place for VS to detect that it is in this state and somehow self-repair. That's why I'm posting this manual fix-up script for folks who have been impacted in the short term.

Last, my team will make sure this is fixed when VS Update 2 ships so that nobody will have to consider applying manual workarounds.

Eric Knox

Visual Studio Engineering Manager

Eric Knox

• Changed type Eric Knox - MSFT Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:35 PM This is both a question and answer
    • Edited by Eric Knox - MSFT Tuesday, December 15, 2015 7:36 PM amending title
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:39 PM

All replies

• Thanks a ton for this fix Eric. I was very relieved that I did not have to reinstall visual studio.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2015 10:09 PM
  • Thank you for this fix. This was really i PITA :)
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:53 AM
  • Phew!  Thank you Eric.  The fix works for me.  God bless.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 5:56 PM
  • You saved me some time. I panicked after the project wouldn't run due to this update.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Thank you! That worked just fine.
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 2:37 AM
  • Update 1 didn't complete successfully and then Visual Studio 2015 would not open.  I tried uninstalling VS2015 to reinstall, but now it won't reinstall.  I'm stuck.  What do I do?
    Friday, December 18, 2015 12:53 AM
  • This does not work.

Is there any link to the old Visual Studio without Update 1?

I have wasted one week to fix these problems, but now my blood pressure reaches 250 and I will go on working with the old VS, if there is any?

If not, I have to make hollyday untill you have fixed the problems.

Best Regards

Erich

Saturday, December 19, 2015 12:51 PM
  • Wow! Thank you Eric and Thank you Sergey.

My story with modifying the devenv.exe.config started with this issue. Once in a while I would get this I guess after installing some update or extension. This is how my config would get modified by me.

Thank you for looking into this.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:56 AM
  • @D_Widd - I'm afraid without knowing more about the error messages you're seeing, I can't give you advice. What error message(s) do you see when you try to reinstall?

If you want more specific help, then I'd be happy to look at the setup logs from your machine. To do this, launch collect.exe from http://aka.ms/vscollect. When it finishes, share   %temp%\vslogs.zip   with me via a site like OneDrive, Dropbox… [the file is usually too large to share by email].

You can point me to the log files by sending me email directly at eric.knox@microsoft.com

Eric Knox

Monday, January 4, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Erich - I'm sorry you've had wasted time due to Visual Studio. Can you tell me where you stand now?

I know that Microsoft hosts the pre-Update 1 version of VS for MSDN subscribers, but I don't know how to get to that version off the top of my head for non-MSDN subscribers.

If you want to reach me directly to help work through what's happening, please feel free to email me at eric.knox@microsoft.com

Eric Knox

Monday, January 4, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Having problem again with Nuget. It worked after the .config file update with the downloaded one unless it depends on the package. My .config file is still identical to the downloaded. Installed OzCode since and tried to add EF to one of the projects today. Getting following again when starting Package Manager Console:

Following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\types.ps1xml(2977) : Error in type "System.Security.AccessControl.ObjectSecurity": Exception: The getter method should be public, non void, static, and have one parameter of type PSObject.
    The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\types.ps1xml(2984) : Error in type "System.Security.AccessControl.ObjectSecurity": Exception: The getter method should be public, non void, static, and have one parameter of type PSObject.
    The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\types.ps1xml(2991) : Error in type "System.Security.AccessControl.ObjectSecurity": Exception: The getter method should be public, non void, static, and have one parameter of type PSObject.
    The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\types.ps1xml(2998) : Error in type "System.Security.AccessControl.ObjectSecurity": Exception: The getter method should be public, non void, static, and have one parameter of type PSObject.
    The following error occurred while loading the extended type data file: Microsoft.PowerShell.Core, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\types.ps1xml(3005) : Error in type "System.Security.AccessControl.ObjectSecurity": Exception: The getter method should be public, non void, static, and have one parameter of type PSObject.
    The term 'Get-ExecutionPolicy' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:13 AM
  • Sorry BigHare, but what you're describing sounds completely independent of the issue in this post. My recommendation would be to open a Connect issue (http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio) so that you can report this to the NuGet owners to see if they have any ideas.

Eric Knox

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Hi Eric, can you please see my post at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/080862c4-ff12-46be-8930-4a353ed02f47/intellisense-and-text-editor-not-showing-c-or-vb?forum=visualstudiogeneral since i'm having strange issues with VS 2015 Community Update 1 and need some help to solve them. My ActivityLog.xml shows an error with the Code Analysis Package and the Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices:

<entry>
        <record>406</record>
        <time>2016/01/15 02:24:20.917</time>
        <type>Information</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>Begin package load [Code Analysis Package]</description>
        <guid>{B20604B0-72BC-4953-BB92-95BF26D30CFA}</guid>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>407</record>
        <time>2016/01/15 02:24:21.345</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>SetSite failed for package [Code Analysis Package][Could not load file or assembly &apos;Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.]:{   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis.SqmLogger..ctor(IServiceProvider provider)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis.MenuHandlers..ctor(IServiceProvider sp)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis.CodeAnalysisPackage.Initialize()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Package.Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Interop.IVsPackage.SetSite(IServiceProvider sp)}</description>
        <hr>80070002</hr>
        <errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</errorinfo>
      </entry>
      <entry>
        <record>408</record>
        <time>2016/01/15 02:24:21.345</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <description>End package load [Code Analysis Package]</description>
        <hr>80070002</hr>
        <errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</errorinfo>
      </entry>
    </activity>

Hope you can solve my issue! 

Thank you!

Friday, January 15, 2016 2:41 AM
  • Eric,

Please see the link below.  You may know that many of us are having trouble updating to VS2015 Update 2. Not only does the update in any form work, in my case if I click on VS2015 in Programs and Features and select Change, I can't Modify, Repair, or Uninstall without the same installer crash.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/a8c09bf0-9b82-416e-90f8-05f3d5cdb90a/vs2015-community-setup-crashes?forum=vssetup

I hope a fix for this exists or is forthcoming very soon!

Thanks

Al

Sunday, April 3, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Update 3 is causing many problems, can't open MVC templates (start projects), DTS errors and I can't even create a .net core. I'm downloading the Windows 10 insider preview. I hope in the future Visual Studio will become aware of its context (Windows 10 insider for example) and download or invite to download (using a more informative dialog box) the appropiate SDK and dependencies.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi guys,

Faced with exactly the same issue but in VS 2015 Update 3 while opening Workflow in VS designer. My solution is the following:

1. Copy DLLs from "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Professional\Common7\IDE\" to 
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE" w/o overriding

2. Take the forementioned devenv.exe.config
    3. Then manually change in this devenv.exe.config
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.7.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="1.1.0.0"/>
    to
            <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" culture="neutral"/>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.7.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="1.3.1.0"/>
    4. devenv /UpdateConfiguration

Then I run my VS2015, and it is working like a charm!

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 3:43 PM