none
Web Performance Test - Record the time of a page and name it after the page has returned. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a page that returns a random (as far as we are concerned) value . We need to be able to say how long it took the page when a specific value has appeared.

Here's an example:

Page.aspx can return either red, blue or green.

How do we get the timings for the times it returns red separate from the timings it returns blue etc?

I've tried the following:

1> PostTransaction web plugin - this only has read only fields for transaction name

2> RequestName - we can change this in the PostPage and PostRequest as it's not read only but this doesn't get reflected in the IDE.

3> Adding a fake transaction and then doing some wonderful SQL on the LoadTest2010 database afterwards, but this is a nasty solution and wouldn't display during run time. Not that displaying at run time is needed but the nastiness prevents this.

4> Writing to a file or DB, again a nasty solution, file would lead to locking or gathering masses of individual users files, would also lead to disk issues. DB would lock thread and is advised against in a webtest I believe.

Any ideas please?

Cheers,
    Rob

Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:46 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Rob,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 27, 2015 9:33 AM
  • Changing the Reporting name might be the way to go. However my experiments show that while the value can be changed in the PostRequest it does not affect the recorded values. I have successfully changed reporting names in the PreRequest; just do not include a forward-slash in the new name.

I can see a really nasty way of doing what your want. Save the value red, blue or green and also the request time into two context parameters, possibly in a PostRequest plugin on the relevant request. In the PreReqest of a later (very quick, such as http://localhost/...) request set the reporting name and do a delay for the remembered time. You would have to experiment to decide exactly where the delay has to occur so it is recorded as part of the request.

Writing times to a text file is not too bad. I wrote up the method I use at http://adrianhhh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/logging-web-test-details-to-text-file.html . I have not yet found any way of collecting these text files from tests run with Visual Studio Online.

Regards

Adrian

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Thanks Adrian. The post request plugin would be ideal, looks like a bug that the field is writeable but it doesn't affect the output?

If I resort to writing to files I'll use your code, many thanks for that.

Cheers,

Rob

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:34 PM
    Friday, February 27, 2015 2:35 PM
  • I think that the text "2> RequestName - we can change this in the PostPage and PostRequest as it's not read only but this doesn't get reflected in the IDE" in your original question and my finding "that while the value can be changed in the PostRequest it does not affect the recorded values" are variations of the same thing.

Regards

Adrian

Friday, February 27, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thanks, we are unable to get the timings we need at the moment
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 7:50 PM
  • Thanks Adrian. The post request plugin would be ideal, looks like a bug that the field is writeable but it doesn't affect the output?

Hi Rob,

Like Adrian's response here:

>> think that the text "2> RequestName - we can change this in the PostPage and PostRequest as it's not read only but this doesn't get reflected in the IDE" in your original question and my finding "that while the value can be changed in the PostRequest it does not affect the recorded values" are variations of the same thing.

For this question, please submit a feedback to connect site:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

You will get email notification for update.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:58 AM

Hi Rob,

Like Adrian's response here:

>> think that the text "2> RequestName - we can change this in the PostPage and PostRequest as it's not read only but this doesn't get reflected in the IDE" in your original question and my finding "that while the value can be changed in the PostRequest it does not affect the recorded values" are variations of the same thing.

For this question, please submit a feedback to connect site:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/CreateFeedback.aspx

You will get email notification for update.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Adrian was just saying that he'd said the same as in my question. It wasn't a solution to the issue. You said you would find someone to help, have you not been able to?

Thanks,
    Rob

Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:01 AM
  • I've heard delays in threads are bad in the load test due to the say the threading works on multiple users. Also the delay wouldn't be counted in the request time.
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Hi RobbiedCoUK,

Thanks for your friendly response.

>>You said you would find someone to help, have you not been able to?

Tina-Shi help you report this issue to the high-level support, we also didn't get the response now.

But if we get any latest information, we would share it here. Appreciate your patience again!

>>Adrian was just saying that he'd said the same as in my question. It wasn't a solution to the issue.

You are right, since other community members like Adrian still got the same issue as yours, if possible, you could submit a report for this issue, the senior members from the connect report can provide more professional support. Before we get the response from the high-level support, I think it would be a better way for you to get the suggestion/solution for this issue directly from the connect report since it would be a real issue if other member still got the same issue as yours.

If you submit the report, please also share us the link here, so other members who get the same issue as yours would help you vote it, and we could get the latest information from the report members.

Sincerely,

Jack 

Thursday, March 5, 2015 9:27 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Unfortunately I was unable to get support on this as it is a feature request.

So it looks like we are stuck :(

Thanks to you and Adrian for your help.

Rob

Friday, March 6, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Hi Rob,

>>Unfortunately I was unable to get support on this as it is a feature request.

You could submit this feature request: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio. The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there and people can vote. If you submit this suggestion, I hope you could post that link here, I will help you vote it. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack

Monday, March 9, 2015 2:11 AM
  • Monday, March 9, 2015 9:22 AM