none
After installation VS 2019 cannot build or create any project. VS 2017, 2015 works ok.

Question

• I installed VS 2019 pro.

When I open existing project in vs2019, I cannot build project. The project works and builds correctly in VS2017.
    When I open in VS2019 the project (just now clearly created and working in VS2017), project does not load (in vs2019) and this warning appears.

C:\Users\ik.CEBIA\source\repos\WebApplication1\WebApplication1\WebApplication1.csproj : error  : The tools version "15.0" is unrecognized. Available tools versions are "12.0", "14.0", "2.0", "3.5", "4.0".  C:\Users\ik.CEBIA\source\repos\WebApplication1\WebApplication1\WebApplication1.csproj

When I manually change (in .csproj file) 

<Project ToolsVersion="15.0" 
    to
    <Project ToolsVersion="14.0"
    Then when trying to reload project, only appears info, that migration is needed.

Unsupported
    This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them.
    For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK.
      - WebApplication1, "C:\Users\ik.CEBIA\source\repos\WebApplication1\WebApplication1\WebApplication1.csproj"

Non-functional changes required
    Visual Studio will automatically make non-functional changes to the following projects in order to enable them to open in Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1. Project behavior will not be impacted.
      - WebApplication1, "C:\Users\ik.CEBIA\source\repos\WebApplication1\WebApplication1.sln"

When I try to create completely new project in VS2019 (c#/Windows/WEB/ASP.net web application/MVC), only this error appears:

The tools version "15.0" is unrecognized. Available tools versions are "12.0", "14.0", "2.0", "3.5", "4.0".

When I open VS2019 development command prompt and type: msbuild /version, I get this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional>msbuild /version
    Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.0.461+g6ff56ef63c for .NET Framework
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The version 15.9.21.664 is strange.

When I open in VS2019 any existing project, it cannot be built in VS2019.

Output:
    1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ZTP_vin, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: ZTP_vin_cs, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    ========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 2 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Warnings:
    Warning  Could not find rule set file "ManagedMinimumRules.ruleset". ZTP_vin C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.VisualBasic.CurrentVersion.targets 133 

Warning  The target "CollectReferencedNuGetPackages" does not exist in the project. ZTP_vin D:\AAA_data\AAA_VB\ZTP_vin\ZTP_vin\ZTP_vin.vbproj  
    Warning  The referenced component 'System' could not be found. ZTP_vin_cs   
    Warning  Could not create output directory ''.  Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ZTP_vin_cs   
    Warning  The referenced component 'Microsoft.CSharp' could not be found. ZTP_vin_cs   
    Warning  The referenced component 'Microsoft.VisualBasic' could not be found. ZTP_vin_cs   
    Warning  The referenced component 'System.Xml.Linq' could not be found. ZTP_vin_cs   
    Warning  The referenced component 'System.Xml' could not be found. ZTP_vin_cs   
    Warning  Could not find rule set file "ManagedMinimumRules.ruleset". ZTP_vin_cs C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\14.0\bin\Microsoft.CSharp.CurrentVersion.targets 133 

My environment:Win 10 pro, 1809 (build 17763.404)
    VS2015, VS2017, VS2019 - pro

Friday, April 12, 2019 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi friend,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>The version 15.9.21.664 is strange.

Like you said, it's strange since I've installed the same vs now and the version is like below:

So I think maybe there has something broken with your IDE. 

Here are my suggestions:

1. Open vs installer =>more=> repair your VS2019 to check if it helps

2. If it not work, I suggest you need to uninstall vs2019 and reinstall it from here(Not sure if your installer has something broken, you can install it from the link above).

Hope it helps. Any update please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 15, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hi friend,

Sorry to trouble you and just want to confirm that if your issue is solved or not, if not, please feel free to let us know, we will try our best to help you out.

BTW, if you think the reply is helpful you could mark it as answer, that benefits for other community members who meet the similar issue, thanks in advance.

If you have any other VS IDE issues, please let us know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:58 AM
  • Hello Lance, thanks for your reply. I tried almost everything.

Repair VS2019, reinstall VS2019, repair VS2017 but nothing helped.

My version still looks like this:

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:54 PM
  • Hi lvoCz,

Sorry for the delay.

It's really hard to reproduce same issue on my side. 

Please follow suggestions below to check if it helps:

1.Open developer command prompt for 2019 and type: where msbuild

Make sure one of the two paths is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\Current\Bin\MSBuild.exe

2. Download the build tools for vs2019 , it will locate at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\BuildTools, you can copy the content of Current folder under msbuild folder to replace the  Current fodler under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\MSBuild\ to check if it helps.

3. If all above can't help, I guess if something broken with your installer or you make some changes to vs path. Also, maybe the reinstall didn't clean up.

But this cause is quite hard to locate, so I'm afraid you need to reinstall vs2019 again. As you mentioned above, your reinstall can't work and the issue persists.

So please follow guidance below to run a total cleanup(Sometimes the manual delete and uninstall from installer can clean up well):

Manual file deletion is not recommended. Please follow the cleanup steps and retry VS install

• See if you have this file on your machine: "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\resources\app\layout\InstallCleanup.exe"
    • Start an admin command prompt
      • Right-click on cmd.exe and select Run AsAdministrator
    • If so, please launch it from an admin command prompt with a -full param
      • InstallCleanup.exe -full
    • If not, please manually delete the "%programfiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer” folder
    • Verify that your initial install location for VS is removed.  If it is not, delete it manually.
    • Relaunch the newly downloaded vs_enterprise.exe (or vs_professional.exe or vs_community.exe…)
    • Allow the first step to install the installer
    • Once the installer comes up and you can see workload choices (.net desktop and the like), close it
    • Go launch the same InstallCleanup.exe to clean up old build of VS
    • Then relaunch vs_enterprise.exe and install VS

And note: I suggest you should uninstall vs2017 and vs2019 together, after that we'd better install vs2019 before we install vs2017. And please download the latest installer.exe here to do the install.

Sincerely

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, April 18, 2019 2:53 AM
  • Hello Lance,

during this weekend I tried everything, but nothing helped. 

I finally reninstalled the PC (reset/reinstall PC with keeping user data) and now it works.

We have several developers in our company and some of them have no problems with VS 2019 and only me and one another developer has these problems. He is just starting to reset/reinstall his PC after trying to everything to repair VS 2019.

Anyway many thanks for your support.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 12:48 PM
  • Hi friend,

Sorry for the not working suggestion. And glad to know it works normally after your reinstall PC.

If you have any VS IDE issues, please feel free to contact us.

Have a nice day:)

Sincerely

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 2:26 AM