TFS 2010 API Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are still using Team Foundation Server 2008.  But we are using Visual Studio 2010.   I have a Visual Studio 2010 application that connects to TFS 2008 using the 2008 API.   It queries and retrieves work items among other things.   This works just fine.

What I want to know is whether I can use the TFS 2010 API  to connect to my 2008 Team Foundation Server.  In other words, should I upgrade to the new 2010 API even though our TFS server is a 2008 TFS server?  (My app is in development, and if I don't upgrade now, I'll have to do it eventually when I upgrade TFS to 2010.)

To put it another way, is the TFS 2010 API backwards compatible with previous versions of TFS?

Thanks,

Sophie

Sophia Bunce
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:39 AM

Answers

• Vicki,  I had to open a support case with the TFS team about a related issue.  They told  me that the object model is different and that you can't use the TFS2010 API with TFS2008.  You can double check this, but that was what I was told.  Thanks anyway.

Sophia Bunce
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:57 PM

All replies

• Hello Sophie,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know it is possible for you to use TFS2010 API to connect to TFS2008.

You can use the following code:

TfsTeamProjectCollection TfsTeamProjectCollection = new TfsTeamProjectCollection(new Uri(Your TFS2008 URL), credential);

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 20, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hello Sophie,

I am marking my reply as answer. If you found it no help, please feel free to unmark it and let me know.

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:45 AM
  • Vicki,  I had to open a support case with the TFS team about a related issue.  They told  me that the object model is different and that you can't use the TFS2010 API with TFS2008.  You can double check this, but that was what I was told.  Thanks anyway.

Sophia Bunce
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:57 PM
  • Hello Sophia,

Sorry for my careless, I just noticed your first question “whether I can use the TFS 2010 API to connect to my 2008 Team Foundation Server”. If you just want to use TFS2010 API, you can use the code I offered you above.

And just as you mentioned above, if you want to use TFS2010 together with TFS2008, there may be some difficulties.

Thanks,

Vicky Song [MSFT]

Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:07 AM