none
XAML Edit and Continue stops working RRS feed

• Question

• I have had this issue in VS 2017 and VS 2019, through multiple versions, both currently updated to the latest versions.

I kick off a debug session and the app starts fine. I then modify the XAML by changing the background color on an element and it changes in the app fine. I change the XAML again (to a different color) and the app does not respond to the change. I am able to continue running debug fine, I am just only able to get my first XAML change in debug to take effect.

Friday, May 17, 2019 9:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Adrien,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

What kind of project do you creates? UWP or WPF?

I've done some tests in VS2017 using a WPF project. But can't reproduce same issue on my side. 

Steps I tried: I create a new WPF project, add a button to the designer. F5 to start debugging it, every time I step into the button-click event, I will change the background of the button in xaml, then I will step over to display the button again. I've stepped into the button5 times, and the color of the button changes 5 times.

If you use WPF project, do you use DynamicResource? And what's the content of your xaml?

Please create a new project and follow steps like mine to check if the issue persists. And it could be better if you can share a simple sample with similar issue so that we can check directly.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 20, 2019 10:13 AM
  • I am doing WPF development. If I create a new WPF solution, I am able to do XAML Edit and Continue ( I added a button to the basic form and change the background of the button in debug). In the main application I am developing XAML Edit and Continue does not work. I am unable to share the code but it is a composed application (Prism Framework) with StaticResources and extensive content. The strange part is a co-worker of mine, working on the same codebase, can do XAML Edit and Continue.

Monday, May 20, 2019 1:37 PM
  • Hi Adrien,

>>The strange part is a co-worker of mine, working on the same codebase, can do XAML Edit and Continue.

Have you checked if repair vs can help? And is the vs version of your co-worker the same as yours? Also, have you installed any third-party extension or software recently which may cause this issue.

Try running vs as safe mode to check if it helps. And there is possibility some setting in the vs make this difference, so you can Go Tools=>Import and Export Setting to export your co-worker's vs settings to your vs if it's convenient.

>>with StaticResources content

A StaticResource in WPF will be resolved and assigned to the property during the loading of the XAML which occurs before the application is actually run. It will only be assigned once and any changes to resource dictionary ignored. So I doubt if the staticResource make the difference. Please check add a new button to your existing project and if the Edit and Continue works.

Best Regards
    Lance

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 9:40 AM
  • Running in Safe Mode throws an error

The 'Visual Studio Build Manager Package' package did not load correctly.

Details from the ActivityLog.xml

<entry>
        <record>1129</record>
        <time>2019/05/23 16:42:00.701</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>SetSite failed for package [Visual Studio Build Manager Package]Source: &apos;mscorlib&apos; Description: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Merq, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d1595740b67248ed&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly &apos;Merq, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d1595740b67248ed&apos; or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.&#x000D;&#x000A;File name: &apos;Merq, Version=1.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d1595740b67248ed&apos;&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveMethod(RuntimeModule module, Int32 methodToken, IntPtr* typeInstArgs, Int32 typeInstCount, IntPtr* methodInstArgs, Int32 methodInstCount)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveMethodHandleInternalCore(RuntimeModule module, Int32 methodToken, IntPtr[] typeInstantiationContext, Int32 typeInstCount, IntPtr[] methodInstantiationContext, Int32 methodInstCount)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.ModuleHandle.ResolveMethodHandleInternal(RuntimeModule module, Int32 methodToken, RuntimeTypeHandle[] typeInstantiationContext, RuntimeTypeHandle[] methodInstantiationContext)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.ResolveMethod(Int32 metadataToken, Type[] genericTypeArguments, Type[] genericMethodArguments)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.Reflection.ResolverExtensions.Resolve(MethodRef methodRef)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.Reflection.MethodRef.Resolve()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.Reflection.MemberRef.get_MemberInfo()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.Create()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveNext(PartLifecycleState nextState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveToState(PartLifecycleState requiredState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.GetValueReadyToExpose()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportElement(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import, RuntimeExport export, Func`3 lazyFactory)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportSite(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.&lt;CreateValue&gt;b__10_0(RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.Create()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveNext(PartLifecycleState nextState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveToState(PartLifecycleState requiredState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.GetValueReadyToExpose()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportElement(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import, RuntimeExport export, Func`3 lazyFactory)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportSite(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.&lt;CreateValue&gt;b__10_0(RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.Create()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveNext(PartLifecycleState nextState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveToState(PartLifecycleState requiredState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.GetValueReadyToExpose()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportElement(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import, RuntimeExport export, Func`3 lazyFactory)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportSite(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.&lt;CreateValue&gt;b__10_0(RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.Create()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveNext(PartLifecycleState nextState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveToState(PartLifecycleState requiredState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.GetValueReadyToExpose()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;GetExportedValueHelper&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportElement(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import, RuntimeExport export, Func`3 lazyFactory)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.GetValueForImportSite(RuntimePartLifecycleTracker importingPartTracker, RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.&lt;CreateValue&gt;b__10_0(RuntimeImport import)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.RuntimeExportProviderFactory.RuntimeExportProvider.RuntimePartLifecycleTracker.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.Create()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveNext(PartLifecycleState nextState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveToState(PartLifecycleState requiredState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.GetValueReadyToExpose()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass53_0.&lt;CreateExport&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass70_1`2.&lt;GetExports&gt;b__1()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__45`1.&lt;GetExportedValues&gt;b__45_0(Lazy`1 l)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Count[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.ComponentModel.GetExtensions[T]()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.DesignTimeBuildManagerService.DesignTimeBuildManager..ctor()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.DesignTimeBuildManagerService.DesignTimeBuildManager.get_Instance()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.CommonIDEPackage.&lt;&gt;c.&lt;.cctor&gt;b__25_20()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ServiceInfo.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass3_0.&lt;.ctor&gt;b__0(IAsyncServiceContainer sc, CancellationToken ct, Type st)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ServiceInfo.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;&lt;ProfferService&gt;b__0&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass25_0.&lt;&lt;AddService&gt;b__1&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.AwaitExtensions.ExecuteContinuationSynchronouslyAwaiter`1.GetResult()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.AsyncLazy`1.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass13_1.&lt;&lt;GetValueAsync&gt;b__0&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.RethrowException(AggregateException e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.InternalGetResult(Boolean ignoreUIThreadCheck)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.GetResult()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.AsyncQueryService.AsyncServiceProvider.&lt;GetServiceByGuidThrowing&gt;d__25.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.AsyncQueryService.AsyncServiceProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass13_0.&lt;&lt;Microsoft-VisualStudio-OLE-Interop-IServiceProvider-QueryService&gt;b__0&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.CompleteOnCurrentThread()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.AsyncQueryService.AsyncServiceProvider.Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider.QueryService(Guid&amp; guidService, Guid&amp; riid, IntPtr&amp; ppvObject)&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.MoveToState(PartLifecycleState requiredState)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.PartLifecycleTracker.GetValueReadyToExpose()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass53_0.&lt;CreateExport&gt;b__0()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass70_1`2.&lt;GetExports&gt;b__1()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Composition.ExportProvider.&lt;&gt;c__45`1.&lt;GetExportedValues&gt;b__45_0(Lazy`1 l)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Count[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ComponentModelHost.ComponentModel.GetExtensions[T]()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.BuildManager.BuildManagerAccessor.&lt;CreateAsync&gt;d__45.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.BuildManager.BuildManagerPackage.&lt;&gt;c.&lt;&lt;-cctor&gt;b__6_0&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ServiceInfo.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass15_0.&lt;&lt;ProfferService&gt;b__0&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass25_0.&lt;&lt;AddService&gt;b__1&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.AwaitExtensions.ExecuteContinuationSynchronouslyAwaiter`1.GetResult()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.AsyncLazy`1.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass13_1.&lt;&lt;GetValueAsync&gt;b__0&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.BuildManager.BuildManagerPackage.&lt;InitializeAsync&gt;d__3.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.AsyncPackage.&lt;&gt;c__DisplayClass19_0.&lt;&lt;Microsoft-VisualStudio-Shell-Interop-IAsyncLoadablePackageInitialize-Initialize&gt;b__1&gt;d.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Threading.JoinableTask.&lt;JoinAsync&gt;d__68.MoveNext()&#x000D;&#x000A;--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---&#x000D;&#x000A;   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.RethrowException(AggregateException e)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.InternalGetResult(Boolean ignoreUIThreadCheck)&#x000D;&#x000A;   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.VsTask.GetResult()&#x000D;&#x000A;&#x000D;&#x000A;WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.&#x000D;&#x000A;To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.&#x000D;&#x000A;Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.&#x000D;&#x000A;To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].&#x000D;&#x000A;</description>
        <guid>{B718A162-0361-4B0E-920B-D88D70BE609B}</guid>
        <hr>80070002</hr>
        <errorinfo></errorinfo>
      </entry>

Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:47 PM
  • Hi Adrien,

Do you install any extension in your vs? I'm assuming if any extension makes this difference. \

And what the result if we change the StaticResource to DynamicResource?

Also, I see one issue in SO, maybe the Prism Framework causes the issue. But as I mentioned, I can't reproduce the same issue in my side. Could you create a simple project with similar structure to check if the issue persists? So that I can check for you directly.

Looking forward to your reply!

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Friday, May 24, 2019 10:43 AM
  • I had installed an extension VSColorOutput. I have removed it and done a full repair on my Visual Studio installation. I can get XAML Edit and Continue to work in a simple application, but not in my main application.

I am not sure what difference Static vs Dynamic resources will do since I am editing properties di the control and not in a style.

Regular Edit and Continue is working great and I use it frequently, XAML Edit and Continue is what is having issues.

I did a settings compare with my coworker (whose XAML Edit and Continue works fine on the same project) I quickly realized I did not understand what I was seeing for the differences, but nothing stood out to me.

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:44 PM
  • I imported my co-workers settings and XAML edit and Continue still breaks.

Another observation: Live visual tree can locate the object in the XAML and in the Visual tree, but cannot get the properties for the Live Property Explorer after the XAML Edit and Continue stops.

I do see an error in the debug output

Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Design\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Design.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

Friday, May 24, 2019 2:59 PM
  • Hi Adrien,

About the error, please check this issue. The system's assembly are not necessarily needed in most of time. Not sure if this is the cause, but you can get it resolved by Debug=>Options: 1.Enable Source server support , 2. Enable Source link support 3.In Debugging=>Symbols=>Enable Microsoft Symbol Servers

And for why the Edit and Continue can't work in your side, as we've checked above. You've repaired VS, disabled the extension, imported same settings, so I'm wondering if you've done some changes to the code or not which makes the difference debug behavior. You can check if some change in the code makes this difference.

And could you please share some details about where the option not work?(I mean in what part of XAML) It could be better if you could share some content of your xaml where the option not works.

Look forward to your reply.

Best Regards

Lance

MSDN Community Support

Monday, May 27, 2019 7:29 AM