none
ResolveKeySource RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting a build error:

"The target "ResolveKeySource" does not exist in this project."

It's a vb.net Windows Forms App.  VS 2019

Sure enough, ResolveKeySource doesn't exist - no mention I can find in the source.  

So it appears that I need it, for some reason.

I'd like to know just WTH this means and what do I have to do to to get this goofy thing to build.

I've search around and found no resources that will help.

Any suggestions, pointers, pr derisive peals of laughter will be welcome

• Edited by Cclover Monday, December 2, 2019 6:18 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 6:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Cclover,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>> “The target “ResolveKeySource” does not exist in this project.”

## I notice that you said you could find it in the source and does this mean this class exists in your codes? After checking this class, I notice the assemblies named Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0.dll might need to be added to your project, I’m not very sure if you have added it because I see this assemblies aren’t added automatically when I just create a new Windows Form Application.

## I suggest you could right-click References under your project in Solution Explorer -> Assemblies -> enter Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0 in the search box -> check the checkbox of this assemblies.

If this issue still persists, I consider there might be something wrong with VS installation or configuration.

I recommend you could try below steps to troubleshoot.

(1) Please try to clean the cache of VS by going to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_XXXX and find ComponentModelCache folder then delete the whole folder. (Please notice to delete one by one if you have more than one 16.0_XXXXX folder)

(2) Try to delete the hidden .vs folder and .bin, .obj folders then build solution again by right-clicking your project -> “Open Folder in File Explorer”

(3) Repair your Visual Studio 2019 by opening Visual Studio Installer -> Find VS 2019 -> More -> Repair (please notice this might cost much time)

(4) Not sure which version of VS 2019 do you use, if you don’t use the latest version of VS 2019, I suggest you could try to update it to the latest version by opening VS Installer -> Find VS 2019 -> Update

I hope all above could help you.

Sincerely,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:45 AM

All replies

• I'm getting a build error:

"The target "ResolveKeySource" does not exist in this project."

It's a vb.net Windows Forms App.  VS 2019

Sure enough, ResolveKeySource doesn't exist - no mention I can find in the source.  

So it appears that I need it, for some reason.

I'd like to know just WTH this means and what do I have to do to to get this goofy thing to build.

I've search around and found no resources that will help.

Any suggestions, pointers, pr derisive peals of laughter will be welcome

Monday, December 2, 2019 6:46 PM
  • The ResolveKeySource class is in the Microsoft.Build.Tasks.TaskExtension namespace.  You might need to install the NuGet package Microsoft.Build.Tasks 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/msbuild/resolvekeysource-task?view=vs-2019

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Hi Cclover,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>> “The target “ResolveKeySource” does not exist in this project.”

## I notice that you said you could find it in the source and does this mean this class exists in your codes? After checking this class, I notice the assemblies named Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0.dll might need to be added to your project, I’m not very sure if you have added it because I see this assemblies aren’t added automatically when I just create a new Windows Form Application.

## I suggest you could right-click References under your project in Solution Explorer -> Assemblies -> enter Microsoft.Build.Tasks.v4.0 in the search box -> check the checkbox of this assemblies.

If this issue still persists, I consider there might be something wrong with VS installation or configuration.

I recommend you could try below steps to troubleshoot.

(1) Please try to clean the cache of VS by going to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_XXXX and find ComponentModelCache folder then delete the whole folder. (Please notice to delete one by one if you have more than one 16.0_XXXXX folder)

(2) Try to delete the hidden .vs folder and .bin, .obj folders then build solution again by right-clicking your project -> “Open Folder in File Explorer”

(3) Repair your Visual Studio 2019 by opening Visual Studio Installer -> Find VS 2019 -> More -> Repair (please notice this might cost much time)

(4) Not sure which version of VS 2019 do you use, if you don’t use the latest version of VS 2019, I suggest you could try to update it to the latest version by opening VS Installer -> Find VS 2019 -> Update

I hope all above could help you.

Sincerely,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:45 AM
  • Tianyu - I followed your directions and what finally turned the trick was updating my VS to v16.4.0.

Now I don't know why that is, but I'm grateful to have it working.  I have work to do.

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 9:20 PM