none
LightSwitch Extension Will Not Build - Complains that the Extension is not Installed RRS feed

• Question

• I have a LightSwitch Extension which I have built successfully in VS2013 in the past.  Opening the same solution, without any changes, I now get the following error when trying to Build or Rebuild the control:

Error 4 Extension 'Control2013' could not be found. Please make sure the extension has been installed. 

The Control2013.vsix file is created in the bin/Debug folder of the solution correctly, but there is no Release folder or vsix file created.  Build action is set to Debug.  While the created vsix file is usable, I am unable to launch the Experimental IDE for debugging.

This makes absolutely no sense to me since Visual Studio is supposed to be building the extension it is saying must be installed (and it is building it). 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get beyond this issue?  Could there be something missing in the environment?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• Edited by DaveVanB Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:50 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:46 AM

Answers

• Angie,

Thanks for the reply.  However, I know how to test the extension without the Experimental instance.  I needed the experimental instance to be able to trace through the code execution.

At any rate, I was able to create a new control project, copy all the files and set up the references exactly as in the solution that was not working, and it works.  Also rebooted several times in the process.  I would sure like to know what caused the issue, but at least I'm up and debugging again.  Maybe the infamous reboots did it!

Dave

• Marked as answer by DaveVanB Friday, January 31, 2014 8:41 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave

Thanks for your feedback.

In order to debug a LightSwitch extension, you must install it in a separate instance of Visual Studio. The Visual Studio 2013 SDK provides an experimental instance of Visual Studio for debugging extensions. You must first enable the experimental instance in order to debug.

You could follow the methods below to debug or test a LightSwitch Extension.

• To enable an experimental instance
    • To debug an extension
    • To test an extension without debugging

1.On the menu bar, choose Build, Build Solution.

2.Open the output directory of the .Vsix project, and locate the  ProjectName.vsix file. The path resembles \ProjectName\ProjectName.Vsix\bin\Debug, under the folder that contains your solution.

3.Copy the ProjectName.vsix file to a computer where LightSwitch is installed.

4.On the target computer, double-click the ProjectName.vsix file, and in the Visual Studio Extension Installer dialog box, click Install.

5.Open a new instance of LightSwitch, and then on the menu bar, choose Add, New Project.

6.In the New Project dialog box, expand the Visual Basic or Visual C# node, choose the LightSwitch node, and then choose the LightSwitch Desktop Application template.

7.In the Name field, enter a name for the test project, and then choose the OK button to create a test project.

8.On the menu bar, choose Project, ProjectNameProperties.

9.In the Project Designer, on the Extensions tab, select the check box next to your extension to enable it for the current project.

10.Add data and screens as you deem necessary to test the functionality of your extension.

Best regards

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Angie Xu Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:13 AM
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:12 AM
  • Angie,

Thanks for the reply.  However, I know how to test the extension without the Experimental instance.  I needed the experimental instance to be able to trace through the code execution.

At any rate, I was able to create a new control project, copy all the files and set up the references exactly as in the solution that was not working, and it works.  Also rebooted several times in the process.  I would sure like to know what caused the issue, but at least I'm up and debugging again.  Maybe the infamous reboots did it!

Dave

• Marked as answer by DaveVanB Friday, January 31, 2014 8:41 PM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 8:41 PM
  • Hi Dave,

This can happen if you manually remove the extension from the Experimental Instance through the Extensions and Updates dialog.  The extension is marked for a Pending Deletion and this causes the issue with your subsequent builds.

The workaround is to launch and close the Experiment Instance once manually (bring up a Developer Command Prompt and launch VS using "devenv /rootsuffix Exp").  The Experimental Instance will then clear the Pending Deletion metadata.

You should now be able to build your extensibility project.

Greg Van Liew

Visual Studio 

Friday, July 17, 2015 10:51 PM