none
WCF Service Reference Error RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a weird error.  We have a service function hosted in IIS that has parameters such as GetOrganization (Guid OrgID).  I have successfully created a service reference to this function via WCF and it worked properly.  I made changes to the file that contained that function and upon rebuild my web page was inoperable.  The issue was caused when I updated the reference and upon updating the function GetOrganization was saying it needed a string parameter.  No changes were made to the GetOrganization function just unrelated functions in the same file.  This caused all my functions that required a Guid to be converted to strings when I reference them in my web page.

Can someone please help, I have rebooted the server, rebuilt the project several times and nothing seems to fix this issue?  Is anyone having the same issue?

Thanks,

Lee
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Lee,

From your description, you're encountering some error when updating ServiceReference(WCF proxy) after you modified the server-side WCF service class, correct?

As for the modification, is it done in the ServiceContract class( the interface or type marked with ServiceContractAttribute) or the implementing class that inherit from the Servicecontract? Generally only changes done in the ServiceContract will cause the service metadata to change(which will result to changes in client proxy when updating ServiceReference). 

For your scenario, is the problem reproable if you create a new simple WCF service with a single operation(use Guid parameter)? If so, you can post the servcie code(serviceContract and implementation class) here so that we can look into it and perform some local tests against it.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:10 AM