none
Visual Studio Code not launching on Ubuntu 14.05 RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a VM (classic) in Azure. While creating I chose Ubuntu 14.05 template. After installation I have enabled xrdp and xfce desktop. I have installed Visual Studio Code on it. Installation is successful but application does not launch. What can be the reason and what do I need to do to successfully launch VS Code?
    Friday, May 6, 2016 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Subodh S,

This document shared us the detailed steps about how to install the VS code in Linux:

https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/editor/setup#_linux

Linux:

1. Download Visual Studio Code for your distribution, .deb for Debian-based distributions such as Ubuntu or .rpm for Red Hat-based distributions such as Fedora or CentOS. Note that 32-bit binaries are also available on the download page.
    2. Install the package through a GUI package manager by double clicking on the package file, or through the command line:
    # For .deb
    sudo dpkg -i <file>.deb

# For .rpm (Fedora 21 and below)
    sudo yum install <file>.rpm

# For .rpm (Fedora 22 and above)
    sudo dnf install <file>.rpm

1. VS Code should now be available to run through the launcher or the command line by running code.

Tip: Run code . in any folder to start editing files in that folder.

So we have to make sure that you use the correct steps.

Of course, you could also test it in other similar system, if it also has this issue, maybe it is related to the setup file or the system issue.

Other members also asked the VS code setup issue in the Ubuntu forum before:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/616075/how-to-install-visual-studio-code-on-ubuntu

If it is not the VS code setup file issue, maybe you could discuss it with the Ubuntu experts.

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites;

Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 9, 2016 2:47 AM