none
Playing a movie from Memory RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am trying play an avi from a memory stream to WMP. I am able to play from disk but I NEED to stream it from memory for security.

Can any one help me  how this could be done?

My platform is C#, .net framework 2.0, any ver of WMP

Thank you,

Maple.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:35 AM

Answers

• "play...to WMP", so you want to convert an AVI file to a WMP file?  Or do you want to play a file with Windows Media Player?
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:58 PM

All replies

• "play...to WMP", so you want to convert an AVI file to a WMP file?  Or do you want to play a file with Windows Media Player?
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:58 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Actually I want to play a movie file from the memory( like from memoryStream).

Regards,

Maple 

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:01 PM
  • Playing video streams currently isn't part of standard hardware abstracted by Windows (unlike a sound card which is abstracted by the PlatformSDK function PlaySound).  Yes, the sound player capabilities of .NET (inherited from PlaySound) do utilize optionally installed codecs...

The OS does not provide an abstracted interface to play videos in the generic sense.  There is an AVI control that you can use to play a small set of AVI files within a dialog (or a Form, if you want to spend the time to wrap the animation control on .NET).

Currently the video player(s) map file extensions to video playing capabilities.  This means you're limited to playing videos from file rather than from memory in .NET--in terms of a standard API.  You would have to figure out what media player is installed (as it may not be Windows Media player, by decree) and find out if that player supports a stream-based API to play video.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 7:04 PM
  •  

Not meaning to cross post but like Maple i need some assistance here too:

If you can help me to appreciate this statement and may be a sample I think it might be a helper:

"create a push source filter that uses the WMReader object
    in the WMF SDK to parse the ASF read from an IStream that
    wraps your memory buffer (the PushSource sample in the
    DirectShow SDK is a good starting point for the push source
    and the ReadFromStream sample in the WMF SDK shows how to
    make the WMReader read from an IStream) "

Thanks

Michael

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:54 PM