none
Generate real time and historical graph in vb .net RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Sir,

I have designed one windows applications in vb .net in which i have plot real time graph by inputting x and y axis value and that values are stored in database table. I am using postgresql database to storing the x and y axis value with date. Now i want to plot historical data graph. For that i have taken two datetimepickers in which we will enter start date and end date. Between these two dates, whatever data will fetched, i have to show in graph. Already i have written one function in postgresql to accessing data between two dates.

Problem is in how to fetch those data ,read the data and plot on the same graph. Please tell me, what steps i have to taken. I am sending you screenshots of two forms as well as function. Please find the attachments.

Please do help me. It's urgent.

Thanks & Regards

Rushali

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hello Sir,

I have designed one windows applications in vb .net in which i have plot real time graph by inputting x and y axis value and that values are stored in database table. I am using postgresql database to storing the x and y axis value with date. Now i want to plot historical data graph. For that i have taken two datetimepickers in which we will enter start date and end date. Between these two dates, whatever data will fetched, i have to show in graph. Already i have written one function in postgresql to accessing data between two dates.

Problem is in how to fetch those data ,read the data and plot on the same graph. Please tell me, what steps i have to taken. I am sending you screenshots of two forms as well as function. Please find the attachments.

Thanks & Regards

Rushali

IMO you should break up your desires into two questions for separate question threads.

One question would be how to access a database to retrieve data between dates and store the data (as x and y of type Double (as that's what the chart control uses for Points) and DateTime) in a VB.Net app using PostgreSQL which is third party and VB.Net. And should be asked at a support location from the third party vendor possibly one of the PostgreSQL Local User Groups.

One question would be, once you have retrieved the data and stored it as x and y of type Double and time as DateTime, then how to graph that information using a Windows.Forms ChartControl and VB.Net. Which you could ask in this forum or the ChartControls forum where you would be less likely to receive assistance considering the amount of unanswered questions in the ChartControls forum which for some reason people seem to direct others to that forum without considering the unanswered issue.

La vida loca

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:56 PM

All replies

• Hello Sir,

Thanks & Regards

Rushali

Friday, July 24, 2015 6:50 AM
  • The right forum for this question is Chart Controls in .Net Framework, a moderator will move it there for you. Please also don't duplicate questions:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d9fa4ca8-66df-4eed-b169-7e9d11904d64/generate-real-time-and-historical-graph-in-vb-net?forum=vbgeneral

Also note that postgresql  doesn't have support on these forums, since its not an MS product.

Fouad Roumieh

Friday, July 24, 2015 11:41 AM
  • Hi there,

I can't see your attachments. Can you share links to them or re-upload them?

Would you consider building an VB.NET WPF application? That would give you a lot of flexibility in terms of UI, databinding (for realtime updates of elements on the screen) and animation of changing values.

Here's an example of this approach:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/117673/WPF-Charting-using-MVVM-Pattern (C# based but this would work in VB.NET as well)

Is this helpful for you?

Please mark answered question as anwered to let others know about it.

Friday, July 24, 2015 12:32 PM
  • The correct forum depends on whether rushuMT does or does not want to consider the XAML based approach with a VB.NET WPF application.

Referring him/her to the Chart Controls in .Net Framework forum seems to be limiting to only ASP.NET or Winform support.

I was not aware that these forums are only limited to helping people with MS products, I would like to include all scenario's as long as there is a connecting with MS technology. Integrating with other technologies and supporting people who try to do so, to me, seems like a priority for any MSDN forum. I will take another look at the forum code of conduct to see it I'm wrong about this.

Please mark answered question as anwered to let others know about it.

Friday, July 24, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Hello Sir,

Thanks & Regards

Rushali

IMO you should break up your desires into two questions for separate question threads.

One question would be how to access a database to retrieve data between dates and store the data (as x and y of type Double (as that's what the chart control uses for Points) and DateTime) in a VB.Net app using PostgreSQL which is third party and VB.Net. And should be asked at a support location from the third party vendor possibly one of the PostgreSQL Local User Groups.

One question would be, once you have retrieved the data and stored it as x and y of type Double and time as DateTime, then how to graph that information using a Windows.Forms ChartControl and VB.Net. Which you could ask in this forum or the ChartControls forum where you would be less likely to receive assistance considering the amount of unanswered questions in the ChartControls forum which for some reason people seem to direct others to that forum without considering the unanswered issue.

La vida loca

Friday, July 24, 2015 3:56 PM