none
Error publishing LightSwitch to Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been playing around with LightSwitch and was trying to publish my demo app to Azure. Since I'm a complete newbie to Azure (signed up yesterday) I've been following tutorials (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lightswitch/archive/2011/03/18/step-by-step-how-to-publish-to-windows-azure-andy-kung.aspx) as how to do so. But a couple of minutes after hitting the publish error I'm always greeted with the error "An exception occurred when deploying the database for the application.

The target database schema provider could not be determined.  Deployment cannot continue. C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\LightSwitch\v1.0\Microsoft.LightSwitch.targets 1114 10 PLICustomerAsset"

Although I think the publish is supposed to create the database on the azure side, I also tried to run the wizard after creating the database on sql azure but to no avail. I can connect to sql azure via SSMS just fine.

Best Regards, 

Filipe Carreira

Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Filipe,

Here are some things you might want to try:

a) In the Database Connections section of the Publish Wizard (step 6 in Andy Kung's blog) check that both connection strings specify Sql Server Authentication (NOT Windows Authentication) and that user names and passwords are valid Sql Azure users. Note that the first connection string must specify a user that has administrative permissions to your instance of Sql Azure.

b) Just to be sure, when you say you can connect to Sql Azure via SSMS you have verified that that works from the machine you are trying to publish from.

Let me know if this helps.

Dan Leeaphon Engineering Lead - VS LightSwitch
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:36 PM