none
Visual Studio 2102 will not start a new project of any kind RRS feed

• Question

• Any time I try to start a project I get the following message and I am unable to get beyond it:

"Visual Studio does not have permissions to read the template information from the system registry. This is often caused by registry permission problems."

I have scoured the forums and have tried various suggestions including using the subinacl program to change permissions in the registry but ended up having to restore my machine back to an earlier point as it only broke other things and left the machine unuasble without fixing the original problem. I have downloaded all available updates. I have had NO viruses or other malfunctions. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result.

Please help!

Monday, April 22, 2013 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Ochuko,

Thanks for your post.

Are you a administrator on your OS? Do you have the permission to access this location:

C:\Users\xxxxx\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Templates\

In order to know which file casued your issue, you should use this command:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241272(v=vs.110).aspx

Collect ActivityLog.xml file which may contains file accuess info.

Please send that file to www.skydrive.com and share the link you get by right click your file-> Share-> Get a short link.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:36 AM
  • Hello Barry,

Thanks for your reply.
    I can confirm that I am logged on to my machine with Administrator permissions and have full access to the Templates folder you describe.

I have run the logging command and have produced the file as suggested which can be viewed here:

http://sdrv.ms/17gjHX4

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,

Ochuko
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Hi Ochuko,

Unfortunately, the log only writes a few warning messages like this:

Found templates with duplicate template ids at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplatesCache\VC\Windows Phone\1033\Discover\Discover.vstemplate" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplatesCache\CSharp\Windows Phone\1033\Discover\Discover.vstemplate"

Actually, this is not core error for your issue.

I've just find a thread which you can refer to: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/68bc9afe-3bdd-45ef-b84d-fd291f2c6736/

I know you mentioned you have no viruses but do you have AV software?

Could you please try the following solution as mentioned on that thread:

1. Disable Antivirus software and try again, this worked for me - MSVS has a phone home feature that AV software may block. Also run it as ADMIN. One more thing, use the defaULT path and project name - all of that seem to work

2. Check Radu Popa 's solution from that thread to refer to this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbexpress2008prerelease/thread/c273b0e1-7f46-4065-afaf-4edf285d2531

Use that tool to give full control to your registry.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Hi Barry,

I'm having the same issue as the original poster.  I've attempted the things you requested here, to include the steps to make the registry accessible by anyone (or anything).  Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have helped at all.  I still get the same error whenever I attempt to create a new project.

I'm using Windows 7, have UAC turned off, have full administrator rights and have Visual Studio 2010 still on my system with no issues on it.  

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide,

Fletcher Bumpus

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Hi FletchB,

Sounds like this issue was hot and I cannot find a solid fix for it.

Could you please open a new thread so that I can escalate for you?

Regards,

Barry Wang

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Hi Ochuko,

How is your issue now?

If you still have any problem please feel free to let me know or you can refer to this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/dfa2df98-eecf-40a3-bbc0-7a6821020f00

Since you are not back I may have to close this case.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Hi Barry,

I am still unable to create any project. As I previously explained the Radu Popa solution using the SubinACL program completely breaks the machine and leaves it inoperable with the only option to restore the OS to an earlier date to regain access. And it is the same result with the manual edit of the registry to grant "blanket" permission to the Administrator.

Thanks,

Ochuko

Monday, May 6, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Hi Ochuko,

I'm sorry that SubinACL won't work for you. I'll involve some others here.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:03 AM
  • Hi there,

• Run  Visual Studio Command Prompt (2012) with administrator privilege
    • Enable Visual Studio logging to log all activity to the specified log path.
          Run:
      Devenv.exe /log <log path> in Command Prompt, the log files will be generated in the<log path>. Then you can check and analyze the log file to see if there is anything suspicious.
    • Run devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings;
    • Run devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems;
    • Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
    • Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

try to repair vs,

or use procmon tool to capture procmon log and find the reason: http://www.mztools.com/articles/2008/MZ2008024.aspx

Regards,

Jenny

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:37 AM