none
Cannot inspect local variables while debugging in VS2010. CXX0017 "Symbol not found" error

Question

• Hi,

We have following problem:

#include <atlstr.h>
    #include <math.h>
    int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
    {
        float f = 123.0;

if(false)
        {
            CString str1;
        }
        else
        {
            CString str2;
            int a = 123;
            a++;
            a = sin(1.2*a);
            _tprintf(_T("%d"), a);
        }
        return 0;
    }

Put breakpoint on a line with "a++;", start debugging and try to inspect variable "a". You will get "Symbol 'a' not found" error.

CXX0017: Error: symbol " a" not found.

Tested under Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and Windows XP Pro, Visual Studio 2010 Professional, Win32 Console Application project, Debug build.

Thanks,

Matthias

Thursday, October 14, 2010 11:11 AM

Answers

• Bug report on:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/613569/cannot-inspect-local-variables-while-debugging-in-vs2010-cxx0017-symbol-not-found-error

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, October 18, 2010 3:33 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:26 PM

All replies

• >Put breakpoint on a line with "a++;", start debugging and try to inspect variable "a". You will get "Symbol 'a' not found" error.

Repros for me too Matthias. :(

Please submit a bug report for it on the MS Connect site:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

... and post a link to your bug report back here and I'll validate it.

Dave

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Same here.

No optimization enabled, worked in VS2008 not in VS2010...What a piece of sh****

Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Bug report on:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/613569/cannot-inspect-local-variables-while-debugging-in-vs2010-cxx0017-symbol-not-found-error

• Marked as answer by eryang Monday, October 18, 2010 3:33 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 1:26 PM
  •  

We temporarily mark the link, so that other community members who encounter similar question can vote/monitor the issue via your link.

Sincerely,
    Eric
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 3:33 AM
  • Hi,

Is there already a hotfix released for this problem?

And where can I download it?

Thanks,

Matthias

Monday, November 29, 2010 12:52 PM
  • As of December 16, 2010, I still can't find the hotfix, even though it's mentioned that there will be a hotfix released in the comments of that feedback.

I'm guessing this hotfix will never be out until Microsoft confirms that there is a hotfix download.

Thursday, December 16, 2010 9:28 AM
  • i'm looking for this hotfix too, more than 60 days after saying it have been fixed. but where is it? maybe it could be called 'coldfix'
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:15 PM
  • I am also looking for the hotfix. I tried SP1 beta but oddly it fixed some of the inspection issues but not others. Perhaps part of the bug is still there?
    Friday, February 11, 2011 3:53 AM
  • Maybe the fix is still in progress. At least, I wanted to read some confirmation about it.

If you may, please post a code snippet that shows the local variable problem. Over at my side, after installing SP1 Beta, I can't seem to make it report the bug.

EDIT:

I think I have a little confirmation (wished these posts are made with more people in):

Hello Deno,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Can you try installing the SP1 beta and see if this issue is fixed for you? http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=11ea69cb-cf12-4842-a3d7-b32a1e5642e2&displaylang=en

There have been some changes to the scoping of local variables in VS 2010 SP1 and it looks like that should resolve your issue.

Please feel free to reactivate this bug if it still reproduces for you even after installing SP1. Thanks.

Marc Paine
    Visual Studio Debugger QA Lead
    • Edited by tom_mai78101 Sunday, March 6, 2011 4:05 PM Found the post.
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 6:13 PM
  • 2012 and still having this problem.  Have 2010 SP1 installed.
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:37 AM
  • making bunches of variables file global to be able to debug is a real pain.

Please fix this problem

Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:39 AM
  • Today I was stepping in the code of a large project with debugger and for the first time since SP1 fix I came across this bug again! I was trying to isolate this into a standalone sample that I could submit, but had no luck in doing so.

This is really frustrating....

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Same here. Visual Studio 2010 Pro with SP1. Local variables cannot be "watched". ("Symbol not found"). I'm already thinking about switching back to Vs2005 ... the second time!!!

Do the developers of VS even test their software (beyond a "Hello World" example)?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:46 AM